Please help me ID this Sor piece

This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed.
Forum rules
This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed. However, we can say in our posts "you can hear a model interpretation by such and such a guitarist on such and such a site".

This forum serves as a place of mutual help if we are stuck on a technical or musical difficulty, whether the problem stems from the notes, the rhythm, the dynamics, or the fingering. We can post several successive versions of the extract, as our work on it progresses. This will serve to help not only the member who is presenting his work, but also indirectly the dozens of other members who are having the same issues with the same passage, but who don't have the equipment or the technical knowledge to post a recording.

As a rule there should be just one topic per work. If several discussions arise on the same work, the moderators will merge the threads together.
MattPM

Please help me ID this Sor piece

Post by MattPM » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:57 pm

Hi,

I'm working through "A Tune A Day" Book 3 for classical guitar. On pg 12, lesson 8 there is a Fernando Sor study titled "Allegro in D minor".

I have the TECLA collection "The Complete Studies, Lessons, and Exercises for guitar" also but cannot find this particular study anywhere. Note this book contains op. 6, 29, 31, 35, 44.

Please can you help ID this Sor piece. Op ? No ?

Here is an extract:
Sor_Study_Allegro_In_D_Minor.mp3
Note there is a full version available on youtube (not my version) if you search for Fernando Sor - Study in D minor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Please help me ID this Sor piece

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:11 pm

We need a bit more info please. The audio you posted wouldn't play for me, and downloading it it wouldn't play either.
Searching for Fernando Sor - Study in D minor gets a bunch of different pieces, so you could link more directly to the one that sounds like yours, which as its out of copyright, shouldn't be a problem. If possible can you scan the first couple of bars and post it as an attachment?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

MattPM

Post by MattPM » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:19 pm

Here is a link to a full version (not my version):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpNWABGyZ2s

Apologies for quality of pic, here is first few bars of score:
IMG_2801 [14139].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:48 pm

Etude no. 23 from the Sor - Coste Méthode pour la guitare, composed by N. Coste,
who "augmented" Sor's method.

Bernhard

MattPM

Post by MattPM » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:32 pm

That's it, thanks Bernhard!

Return to “Extracts of works in progress, 8 bars or 30 seconds maximum”