Name this tune!

This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed.
Forum rules
This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed. However, we can say in our posts "you can hear a model interpretation by such and such a guitarist on such and such a site".

This forum serves as a place of mutual help if we are stuck on a technical or musical difficulty, whether the problem stems from the notes, the rhythm, the dynamics, or the fingering. We can post several successive versions of the extract, as our work on it progresses. This will serve to help not only the member who is presenting his work, but also indirectly the dozens of other members who are having the same issues with the same passage, but who don't have the equipment or the technical knowledge to post a recording.

As a rule there should be just one topic per work. If several discussions arise on the same work, the moderators will merge the threads together.
johnd

Name this tune!

Postby johnd » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:12 pm

Back in the early 60s I took classical guitar lessons from a gentleman by the name of Guy Horn. Played for about a year and then life got in the way.

After 50 years or so I decided to try it again. Bought a guitar and sat down and played this:

mysong.mp3

How my brain ever remembered this I don't know but would appreciate it if someone could ID it. I don't think it was an exercise piece but I guess it could be.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Name this tune!

Postby GeoffB » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:53 pm

It's the Vals from Cuatro Piezas Fáciles para Guitarra (four easy pieces for guitar) by Bartolomé Calatayud (also spelt Calatuyud), published by Unión Musical Ediciones. You can either buy the 4 pieces together, or included in a larger collection of his work as volume 1 of "The Guitar Music of Spain", edited by John Zaradin.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

quavers

Re: Name this tune!

Postby quavers » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:57 pm

I also recognized it immediately. The work of Barolome Calatayud seems to be greatly overlooked. The collection that GeoffB refers to contains great pieces that range in difficulty from easy to intermediate. The Vals en Mi Menor A Erik Ronne, contained in the same volume, is more or less the same tune but contains some wonderful glissandos and harmonics that are very easy to land. It really make this tune come alive. By the way, welcome back Jonhd

Return to “Extracts of works in progress, 8 bars or 30 seconds maximum”