Capricho Arabe - beginning of main theme

This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed.
Forum rules
This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed. However, we can say in our posts "you can hear a model interpretation by such and such a guitarist on such and such a site".

This forum serves as a place of mutual help if we are stuck on a technical or musical difficulty, whether the problem stems from the notes, the rhythm, the dynamics, or the fingering. We can post several successive versions of the extract, as our work on it progresses. This will serve to help not only the member who is presenting his work, but also indirectly the dozens of other members who are having the same issues with the same passage, but who don't have the equipment or the technical knowledge to post a recording.

As a rule there should be just one topic per work. If several discussions arise on the same work, the moderators will merge the threads together.
MattH

Re: Capricho Arabe - beginning of main theme

Post by MattH » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:51 pm

Lucy,
As a novice, I can't offer anything except to say it sounds very nice. Your posts are an inspiration (among many on the site). I hope to participate in this forum if and when I gain some proficiency. Keep it up.

hstrath

Post by hstrath » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:46 am

Hi Lucy,

I am rather familiar with this piece.. I would recommend playing this piece with a metronome at whatever tempo is most rhythmical stable. While paying the upmost attention to legato. I think that you will find it much easier quicker if you play it as if it were a study for the first few months :)

Goodluck!

claudojapon

Post by claudojapon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi Lucy
It is true that your second version is much more alive and expressive. I will have good use of all those advices and shall try to be as self-reflective as you have been.
And then, when the time will come, I hope to be able to hear you in a longer version on youtube ???

Claude

cyman

Post by cyman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:13 am

Hi Lucy and all Others,

I have recently detected this thread and read the cross communication
and heard your both versions. It is quite amazing, in fact, what such an
inspirational conversation can accomplish. Your second version is such
an improvement. Lots of recommendation and different comments have
been communicated with you. Therefore no further by me.
In the meanwhile I expect that you are working with this wonderfull piece
of Tarrega and have similar "problems" with other parts, Or ?
Well I had them also, so say thirty years ago. And I worked same hard way
and I was lucky to have a great friend to advise me how to master this
piece. Meanwhile this friend is a Prof. of guitar musik and resident in Spain.
I think, nothing is better than to internalize such a melody.
Have a look at the following link and listen to him in the time window 0:40 - 0:50.
It is one of the best interpretations of Capricho arabe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydxHJS_Jt_U

Best wishes for your further impovement
cyman
Masaki Sakurai Custom Made Maestro-RF (2010 - 2012)
Credo Quia Absurdum Est

Amadan

Post by Amadan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:28 pm

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=20956

Hi Lucy
Check this video by Jounis, one of the most brilliant members of this forum

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks for your responses everyone. :)

I've watched those videos. They're both impressive performances. I particularly like cyman's professor's phrasing of the bit in question. Thanks you for the link.

I also think hstrath's advice is sound. Probably applies to a lot of other pieces too!
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

rudelguitar

Post by rudelguitar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:44 am

Very good, Lucy. Your sound on the guitar is very nice. I agree with some of the posts that talk about the "A" melody note. The biggest mistake I hear from those playing this piece is making the A and F equal in volume. Your are not playing them equally in volume, and it is hard to tell if the microphone is bringing out the F more than you want it to come out. The A is the melody and the F is harmony/accompaniment. That is a huge challenge in this piece - bringing out the melody with the accompaniment notes being so close. When I hear some players bringing out the A and F equally, it sounds like a children's chant of a "merry-go-round" tune. I would say that the A melody must come out full and strong, but it also has to be shaped. The second A should not be as loud as the first A. One of the best things you could do is to sing or hum the melody in its entirety and phrase it logically. Do this away from the guitar. Once you have decided how you want the melody to go, you can approach the piece with a plan.
Good luck, and kudos for choosing such a beautiful piece to play.
Rudel

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks for your advice Rudel.
rudelguitar wrote: I would say that the A melody must come out full and strong, but it also has to be shaped. The second A should not be as loud as the first A. One of the best things you could do is to sing or hum the melody in its entirety and phrase it logically. Do this away from the guitar. Once you have decided how you want the melody to go, you can approach the piece with a plan.
I agree with singing the melody away from the guitar. Someone else has recently already advised me to do this too. Another tip he gave was to play the melody on its own, without any of the accompaniment notes. On the hand, I personally prefer to place more emphasis on the second A - that bit I have decided upon!

To be honest, part of the trouble I'm having deciding how to play this tune, is I'm extremely bored with the piece. :( It is not new to me, I've played it for years, but never quite got the hang of that bit of tune, so I thought I'd raise it here. However, my attempt to get that bit "right" is not being helped by boredom, as I'm now having trouble listening as I play!

Hope I'll get over this sometime................... :cry:

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:49 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that you have reached the point of boredom, Lucy. :( I absolutely love this piece. I have just gotten to the point where I think I will record it. For me, it had some technical challenges in that I never tried to play a chromatic scale run at the tempo that I want to play the piece. So I had to do a bit of speed scale practice with the metronome. The beginning lick had its problems too, in that I played the pull off note too short in my mad dash to get to the next position. All of these things have yielded to practice and I've now worked on the piece for about 140 hours. It is just starting to sound more like I want it to. I have an image in my mind when I hear the piece and that is what drives my interpretation. I will share the scene with you, and perhaps it will take some of the boredom out of it when you play it. :)

It is hot.... the heat waves make the walled city in the distance in front of you shimmer. You can see that it is a moorish style city with the arched gates. A few gusts of hot, dry breeze stir little whirl winds of dust and kick up some dried leaves and one floats down nearby. Then another a bit more distant. Your camel plods on as you make your way on the trail towards the city. Someone you loved a long time ago lives in that city and you feel your heart ache with a bit of longing for that sweet time you had together and as another leaf is swept up.... it reaches a peak and it falls the way a feather does, looping back and forth as it descends. You remember some happy moments you had together [major part] of your time in the city the last time you visited. Then, the sense of longing returns as you continue your journey [minor part again] as you watch the leaves... hoping that your love will be there and you will meet again.

It is that feeling of the leaf being carried on the wind and floating down that I am trying to capture in the first licks and later in the similar part. I play the notes trying to "group" them in fours in the phrase (the leaf as it changes direction). It is really a feeling I am trying to capture of lightness, like a leaf on the wind. I don't really think of the story as I play, it is the mood it creates for me when I hear it as I play. So I play with it.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Hi lagartija

Thanks for sharing your very imaginative story for this piece. :) I should probably do more of that kind of thing myself, rather than get tied up in the notes!

To be honest though, it's not just this piece. I'm not feeling enthused by playing guitar at the moment, in a similar way that Oski has talked about. (He said this in a recent thread.)

I think I'm suffering from a kind of "burn out", so I'm taking it easy and not playing that much these days. I hope that over time I'll recover my enthusiasm............

Good luck with the piece. Glad you're enjoying it! :casque:

attila57

Post by attila57 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi Lucy,

I didn't know that this forum is for discussing pieces that we're actually working on.
I thought it was for composers, discussing new works.
A surprise discovery!
:bye:
Attila
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

Thelonious

Post by Thelonious » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:39 am

Hi Lucy, there was definite improvement in the 2nd take, I think the area where you could loosen up a bit is the 6 notes in between the emphasized F.
it ends up sounding a bit rushed because you are giving each note semi equal time and emphasis, whereas you could throw more hammer on pull off type ghost notes. And above all make sure it comes back on the 1 downbeat. Think time like a slow pendulum and not a up and down strict time.
Love to hear your progress.

rakhmathidayat

Post by rakhmathidayat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:57 pm

That's very beautiful pieces, I love Capricho Arabe very much, almost every day I enjoy it.
and now I also study that pieces, hope soon I will be able to playing that pieces with good.

nicofitz

Post by nicofitz » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:56 pm

I know the recordings were posted some time ago, but I'm not sure anyone clearly made this point: in those trills, those hammer-on/pull-offs, the emphasis is strongly on the pull off. I checked a few guitarists on youtube and it confirmed my ears' initial impression (after hearing this piece around the place here and there, on the radio I'm sure and elsewhere). David Russell's version on there for example, emphasis on the pull-off.

Return to “Extracts of works in progress, 8 bars or 30 seconds maximum”