Sor op 28 " - Marlborough" -

This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed.
Forum rules
This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed. However, we can say in our posts "you can hear a model interpretation by such and such a guitarist on such and such a site".

This forum serves as a place of mutual help if we are stuck on a technical or musical difficulty, whether the problem stems from the notes, the rhythm, the dynamics, or the fingering. We can post several successive versions of the extract, as our work on it progresses. This will serve to help not only the member who is presenting his work, but also indirectly the dozens of other members who are having the same issues with the same passage, but who don't have the equipment or the technical knowledge to post a recording.

As a rule there should be just one topic per work. If several discussions arise on the same work, the moderators will merge the threads together.
Cary W

Sor op 28 " - Marlborough" -

Post by Cary W » Thu May 03, 2012 2:19 am

I have been working on this one for a while now. It's good to go in front of the microphone...all the weak areas are laid bare :oops:
Here is an initial recording of the various sections (extract), minus the introduction marked Andante Largo. It can only get better! :)

Theme:
Sor op 28 theme.mp3
Variation 1
Sor op 28 var 1.mp3
Variation 2
Sor op 28 var 2.mp3
Variation 3
Sor op 28 var 3.mp3
Variation 4
Sor op 28 var 4.mp3
Variation 5
Sor op 28 var 5.mp3
Variation 6
Sor op 28 var 6 finale.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

norban

Re: Sor op 28 " - Marlborough" -

Post by norban » Thu May 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Cary, thank you for showing us that even an unperfect take of this great work is worth hearing.
Most of us can learn out of it. And we might loose the fear of showing an audio file which is not perfect.

:bravo:
norban
A life without music is possible but very poor.

Pragueguy

Post by Pragueguy » Tue May 29, 2012 11:29 am

Really very very good, impressive.

Mike

Fabbri

Post by Fabbri » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:42 am

I'm inspired to go back and have another go at this tricky piece. Thanks, Cary.

Hugo Kleinhans

Post by Hugo Kleinhans » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:50 pm

Very well done so far! You should definitely upload a video of yourself playing the entire piece when you're ready. It can only be great :bravo:

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:19 am

Nice! I played that piece many years ago in music school. I'd all but forgotten how pretty it is. Thanks for posting are reminding me of a treasure. Keep at it, it's going to be great when you post the "video"!
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:09 pm

Pragueguy wrote:Really very very good, impressive.

Mike

Ditto! :)
Help!

Cary W

Post by Cary W » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:47 am

Thanks to everyone for listening to my less than perfect recording...will get back to improving this one soon. :)
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

MDevon

Post by MDevon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:53 am

The technique is there, but there are obvious spots to be improved. Slow down with the metronome and play the piece extremely slow for no less than one week DO NOT do less than one week. Once you do this, you will find that muscle memory is your best friend.
Devon

strumalong

Post by strumalong » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:39 am

MDevon wrote:The technique is there, but there are obvious spots to be improved. Slow down with the metronome and play the piece extremely slow for no less than one week DO NOT do less than one week. Once you do this, you will find that muscle memory is your best friend.
Devon
Great advice

Jeremy8302

Post by Jeremy8302 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:56 am

Hi,
I'm a new member so I'm unable to listen to the excerpts but I'm eager to hear them. (I know this thread is a few years old...)

I played this in school years ago and it's still my favorite piece I studied. I've thought about having a go at it again but making sure I do it right this time and don't gloss over the trickier sections.

When I do get this piece up and running I'd love to post excerpts as well and maybe get some feedback.

Return to “Extracts of works in progress, 8 bars or 30 seconds maximum”