BWV997 Prelude beginning part

This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed.
Forum rules
This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed. However, we can say in our posts "you can hear a model interpretation by such and such a guitarist on such and such a site".

This forum serves as a place of mutual help if we are stuck on a technical or musical difficulty, whether the problem stems from the notes, the rhythm, the dynamics, or the fingering. We can post several successive versions of the extract, as our work on it progresses. This will serve to help not only the member who is presenting his work, but also indirectly the dozens of other members who are having the same issues with the same passage, but who don't have the equipment or the technical knowledge to post a recording.

As a rule there should be just one topic per work. If several discussions arise on the same work, the moderators will merge the threads together.
druidplayguitar

BWV997 Prelude beginning part

Post by druidplayguitar » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:15 am

I dont feel right. Need some guide on this Bach's work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pogmoor

Re: BWV997 Prelude beginning part

Post by pogmoor » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:22 am

That’s very good so far; you’ve got all the notes under your fingers and you play cleanly and in time :)
What you need to add, in my view, is more attention to the ‘shape’ of the music. You need to define the way the music is phrased and place more emphasis on the important notes. Can you find a recording of this piece that you like? Listen to the first section and see if you can work out how it differs from your recording, especially in the way the music is shaped.
Good luck!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

druidplayguitar

Re: pogmoor

Post by druidplayguitar » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:58 pm

Thanks for advices.
Yes I found some recordings of this prelude. They play twice faster than me, so it's difficult to shape the work like them at my slow tempo(Quater = 40).
I wonder how to play it well at a relatively low speed. I dont think the fast one is better. Prefer slow and soft.

arpisma

Post by arpisma » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Nicely played but you definitely need more accentuation like you do at seconds 30 to 32, that's good. Then it gets flat again. You should sing out loud the melody - not while playing - that'll help. Also as a basic exercise put emphasis to notes that are on the beat. Then little by little remove some unwanted accent. But until you reach that point accentuate all the beats.

MerltheWizard

Post by MerltheWizard » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:07 pm

Try 'leaning' on the first G sharp which appears in the top line. This is an appogiatura which means it is a dissonant, non-harmony note which has to have more weight on it than the following note (A) which is the note of resolution. This applies to the other appogiaturas in the opening bars, and is a good rule of thumb in general. Good luck!

Return to “Extracts of works in progress, 8 bars or 30 seconds maximum”