Please help me ID this piece (Courante?)

This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed.
Forum rules
This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed. However, we can say in our posts "you can hear a model interpretation by such and such a guitarist on such and such a site".

This forum serves as a place of mutual help if we are stuck on a technical or musical difficulty, whether the problem stems from the notes, the rhythm, the dynamics, or the fingering. We can post several successive versions of the extract, as our work on it progresses. This will serve to help not only the member who is presenting his work, but also indirectly the dozens of other members who are having the same issues with the same passage, but who don't have the equipment or the technical knowledge to post a recording.

As a rule there should be just one topic per work. If several discussions arise on the same work, the moderators will merge the threads together.
richardph

Please help me ID this piece (Courante?)

Post by richardph » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:07 pm

So, I use to have a cassette recording of a Barouque Suite that I taped off of John Schneider's
"Soundboard" radio show on KPFK back in the late '70's. I lost all the content info that was printed
on the sleeve, I always thought the composer was S.L.Weiss, but was never sure. When I was studying
with Philip Rosheger, I expressed and interest in learning it, so I played him the tape. He WAS pretty sure
it sounded like Weiss, but was not certain. He brought in a big book of Weiss manuscrpits, but we could not locate
it. 30 years later, I no longer can locate the tape, but the music still haunts, especially the movement that sounds like
a Courante form. I've check every Courante from the Weiss works that I could find, to no avail. I don't know,
maybe it's not Weiss? maybe it's not a Courante? Anyway, I'd like to find it before I,,,well, you know. Here's a short
clip of how I remember this movement. I don't even think it repeats like I do here, it starts some sort of development,
but these few bars will give you the idea. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you Delcampers!
Courante.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2014 Kenny Hill Performance
"Don't sell your Les Paul" -Michael Chapdelaine

David_Norton

Re: Please help me ID this piece (Courante?)

Post by David_Norton » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:57 pm

I've looked through my Weiss books as well, not found a match to this. It certainly sounds like a courante.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:01 am

I think it sounds like Ernst Gottleib Baron but I have no idea which suite. Look in Les manuscripts de Bruxelles if you can find a copy on line. Might be there.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

richardph

Post by richardph » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:34 am

Thanks David for your research, and Scot for your lead. I'll follow
up on your suggestion and let you know what I find:-)

Rich

Schneider

Post by Schneider » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:07 am

Hi Rich,

Reminds me a courante from François Campion named "Les Délices". The construction is pretty close.
Maybe you could look into his direction also.

Anyway, here's a quick transcritption of your performance, if that can help to recognize the score :roll:
Courante.jpg
Cheers,
Pierre
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I went up into the attic and found a Stradivarius and a Rembrandt.
Unfortunately Stradivarius was a terrible painter and Rembrandt made lousy violins.

Schneider

Post by Schneider » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:48 am

Just an idea : have you tried to googlize this site : http://jdf.luth.pagesperso-orange.fr/ as an advanced search with the word "courante" ?
But, ok, 'could be a long run ... :roll:

Good luck,
Pierre

[EDIT]
richardph wrote:[...] I always thought the composer was S.L.Weiss, but was never sure. When I was studying
with Philip Rosheger, I expressed and interest in learning it, so I played him the tape. He WAS pretty sure
it sounded like Weiss, but was not certain. [...]
Do you think that this part could end on an E chord so it could sound more Weissy ?
Something like :
CouranteFin.png
Unfortunately Stradivarius was a terrible painter and Rembrandt made lousy violins.

Schneider

Post by Schneider » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:10 pm

richardph

Post by richardph » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:49 am

think it sounds like Ernst Gottleib Baron but I have no idea which suite. Look in Les manuscripts de Bruxelles if you can find a copy on line. Might be there
Lot's of good stuff there Scot....REALLY sounds like the same style, but I didn't find it in the Suites listed. Thanks for the source however!!
Pretty close Pierre, but not the piece that's embedded in my memory.
The Campion stuff is splendid as well but I didn't locate is there either.

My search continues, but i'm truly grateful for the new sources, Scot and Pierre.
I might try to locate that original cassette...could take a few hours of listening. I'm confident that I didn't "compose" alternate
versions in my head over the years...but, you never know.

I wish I could read old time lute tab:-)

Return to “Extracts of works in progress, 8 bars or 30 seconds maximum”