A Merry Little Christmas

This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed.
Forum rules
This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed. However, we can say in our posts "you can hear a model interpretation by such and such a guitarist on such and such a site".

This forum serves as a place of mutual help if we are stuck on a technical or musical difficulty, whether the problem stems from the notes, the rhythm, the dynamics, or the fingering. We can post several successive versions of the extract, as our work on it progresses. This will serve to help not only the member who is presenting his work, but also indirectly the dozens of other members who are having the same issues with the same passage, but who don't have the equipment or the technical knowledge to post a recording.

As a rule there should be just one topic per work. If several discussions arise on the same work, the moderators will merge the threads together.
pmiklitz

A Merry Little Christmas

Post by pmiklitz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi All,

here's a short excerpt of my own arrangement of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. I don't have any professional recording equipment, so this was done with an iPhone 4S.

Hope you like it,

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

Linda

Re: A Merry Little Christmas

Post by Linda » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:30 am

So pretty....wanted to hear more

linea
linea

pmiklitz

Post by pmiklitz » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:11 am

Linda wrote:So pretty....wanted to hear more

linea
Thank you, linea!

Unfortunately, I can't post the whole thing, as the song is not public domain. I'm happy to send the arrangement to you via a PM though, if you include a suitable email address.

All the best,

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:47 am

HI Peter,

Very nice indeed. Like others have said it would have been great to hear the whole song (although I understand the issue regarding copyright).

Rgds,
Paul

pmiklitz

Post by pmiklitz » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:55 pm

Paul Janssen wrote:HI Peter,

Very nice indeed. Like others have said it would have been great to hear the whole song (although I understand the issue regarding copyright).

Rgds,
Paul
Thanks, Paul!

Glad you like it. As I mentioned in my reply to Linda earlier, send me a PM if you are interested in the score.

All the best,

Peter

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:31 pm

Allow me a critical remark: you play all the notes equally loud. Try to play the melody loud and the other notes softer. If you sing the piece, you would do that naturally. Try to play as you sing and see if it makes a difference?
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

pmiklitz

Post by pmiklitz » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:31 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:Allow me a critical remark: you play all the notes equally loud. Try to play the melody loud and the other notes softer. If you sing the piece, you would do that naturally. Try to play as you sing and see if it makes a difference?
Hi Erik,

Thanks for your hint, but this is still very much a work in progress, i.e. I'm still struggling with getting all the notes right :D. Once I have all the fingerings down, I will work more on the musical aspects of the piece.

Best regards,

Peter

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi Peter,

I was actually thinking, given that this is your own arrangement copyright restrictions may not apply (or more correctly, you would "own" the copyright of your arrangement and therefore you may be free to record and post it in full).

Perhaps one of the moderators can confirm this? Of course there is no obligation on you to record the whole piece, but it would be good to know this anyway as it may help others to know whether they are free to record and post their arrangements of current songs.

Rgds,
Paul

pmiklitz

Post by pmiklitz » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Paul Janssen wrote:Hi Peter,

I was actually thinking, given that this is your own arrangement copyright restrictions may not apply (or more correctly, you would "own" the copyright of your arrangement and therefore you may be free to record and post it in full).

Perhaps one of the moderators can confirm this? Of course there is no obligation on you to record the whole piece, but it would be good to know this anyway as it may help others to know whether they are free to record and post their arrangements of current songs.

Rgds,
Paul
Hi Paul,

as far as I understand the copyright laws, I would have to ask the current holder of the copyright for the song for permission to publicize my arrangement. Even if I don't publish it for personal gain, i.e. selling the arrangement as sheet music, there may be a fee depending on how many copies I intend to distribute.

Best regards,

Peter

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:14 pm

pmiklitz wrote:
Erik Zurcher wrote:Allow me a critical remark: you play all the notes equally loud. Try to play the melody loud and the other notes softer. If you sing the piece, you would do that naturally. Try to play as you sing and see if it makes a difference?
Hi Erik,

Thanks for your hint, but this is still very much a work in progress, i.e. I'm still struggling with getting all the notes right :D. Once I have all the fingerings down, I will work more on the musical aspects of the piece.

Best regards,

Peter
I had a private lesson from Gabriel Guillen last summer and played a Weiss piece for him that was relatively new to me. He stressed to play as musically as I could, even on new pieces! "Learning a piece and adding musicallity later is a waste of time. Focus on playing music at all times". I was confused and defensive after his advice: you are asking too much. How can I play musically without understanding the score?
He said: "You focus on the physical aspect of playing, try to focus on the music!"
You can imagine my frustration after his lesson. After a few weeks, I began to understand what he was saying: it is all about orchestration and not about navigating the fretboard without musicality. I study differently now.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Daniel337

Post by Daniel337 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:39 am

Peter,

You're off to a good start on this for sure. The arrangement you created is very pleasant, I will pm you and would love if you could send a score my way.

Thanks,
Daniel

austin_ep

Post by austin_ep » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:18 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:
I had a private lesson from Gabriel Guillen last summer and played a Weiss piece for him that was relatively new to me. He stressed to play as musically as I could, even on new pieces! "Learning a piece and adding musicallity later is a waste of time. Focus on playing music at all times". I was confused and defensive after his advice: you are asking too much. How can I play musically without understanding the score?
He said: "You focus on the physical aspect of playing, try to focus on the music!"
You can imagine my frustration after his lesson. After a few weeks, I began to understand what he was saying: it is all about orchestration and not about navigating the fretboard without musicality. I study differently now.
This is fantastic advice, and actually something that I was just thinking about earlier today while practicing. It seems quite smart to be conscious of playing music at all times rather than parsing a piece layer by layer. It would certainly help to be able to know what each fingering is and such but what you finally present to others is the complete and finished piece. Thank you for this little bit of knowledge. :)

Return to “Extracts of works in progress, 8 bars or 30 seconds maximum”