UPDATE: On Unknown Recording

This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed.
Forum rules
This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed. However, we can say in our posts "you can hear a model interpretation by such and such a guitarist on such and such a site".

This forum serves as a place of mutual help if we are stuck on a technical or musical difficulty, whether the problem stems from the notes, the rhythm, the dynamics, or the fingering. We can post several successive versions of the extract, as our work on it progresses. This will serve to help not only the member who is presenting his work, but also indirectly the dozens of other members who are having the same issues with the same passage, but who don't have the equipment or the technical knowledge to post a recording.

As a rule there should be just one topic per work. If several discussions arise on the same work, the moderators will merge the threads together.
mc1

Re: Unknown Recording from 1976 to Identify

Post by mc1 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:29 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
mc1 wrote:[...
stephen, what do you mean by D tuning?
6th string = D
thanks. i still wonder if the G string could be tuned to F#. seems hard to play the opening phrase in dropped-d. hmmm.

here is an mp3 raised up a semi tone:
30 seconds unknown piece Copy.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Wed May 27, 2015 5:47 pm

mc1 wrote:
Stephen Kenyon wrote:No idea what it is, except either the tape is slow or the guitar a semi tone flat, and its in D tuning. Depending on the honesty of the book, its not a beginners' piece. Maybe you like the idea for nostalgic reasons, but I'd think there's a host of much more interesting pieces available to you now, not least those available within this forum. Stephen
stephen, what do you mean by D tuning? the recording is down a 1/2 tone, as you mention, but seems to start with a high D note (high E string, 10th fret), and then there is an F# note, which would normally be on the 4th fret of the D string. is this an open string for this piece? or are you just referring to the bottom string being tuned to D? in other words, do you think the guitar is tuned D-A-D-F#-A-D. weren't there some early guitar tutors that used and open E tuning, which would be equivalent in the intervals (i.e. the same tuning up one tone)? alan, what else can you remember about this piece?
I listened to the tape again and the general discussion around the table. I have determined that the date would be 1975 and that I had not taken any formal lessons for about 4 or 5 years before. This meant that it was early on in my classical guitar love and the first tune I recall with low D was El Testamanet D'Amelia. I have done other low D tunings on pieces I still know but can't play yet. I can't think of any piece like this one that needed a low D tuning. As a matter of fact I can play this one by ear as it is so easy and without having to resort to low D. Also, I have never ventured into any other tunings that the normal or low D. But we all know what memory is like.

Thanks for the help guys! I got to get this solved, unfortunately roughly 300 members saw this post and as bad as it was starting off nothing will bring them back, and all it takes is one person.

I will do some more digging. I emailed the likes of Per-Olov, Mike Herbert and Jorge Nolla and they do not recognize it. I have it on the Classical Guitar Forum and no one has answered at all.

Again, thanks a lot,

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

mc1

Re: UPDATE: On Unknown Recording

Post by mc1 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:34 pm

hi alan,

thanks for the information. so it looks like drop-D tuning, and i just wasn't fingering it correctly. the mp3 actually has a year associated with it (metadata, i believe it's called), and it's 1976.

i wouldn't get too bummed about the 300 members. i believe that number indicates the number of times the thread has been viewed, but it's not unique to members. so you and i probably account for about 200 of those views. :lol:

do you think the piece starts with the D note, 1st string, 10th fret?

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Thu May 28, 2015 1:27 am

mc1 wrote:i'm not seeing the clip. edit: alan, here is an upload of the better version you posted later in the thread. and here is the same clip raised up a semi-tone:
Thanks Morgan for your very kind help, great to have you interested and also put it on a couple of pages plus fixing one up. I will send you a little longer file about 45 seconds, I doubt that will do anything but who knows? Stephen mentioned a few things about meta data, I will reply to him that I entered that when I made the mp3. This has to be a piece I was just given and by a teacher and somehow just lost. What I find strange is why would I not continue to play such a seemingly easy piece - to show off even, as it has a nice ring to it.

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:23 pm

ashepps wrote:I came across an old tape recording that I had done 40 years ago. It a catchy tune, quite distorted. It appears to be a simple piece, perhaps even out of a beginners classical book.

I want to be able to ID it and learn to play it again. Sorry for the poor quality and distortion.

UPDATE: I gave been able to use the following link to get the file instead --- https://app.box.com/s/322fbgl70f6voqjmb4kvm7jswu63a677

:arrow: See page 2 here for UPDATED mp3, 30 seconds long, better quality

Please take a listen to it and see if it can be identified.

Thanks - Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:22 am

mc1 wrote:
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
mc1 wrote:[...
stephen, what do you mean by D tuning?
6th string = D
thanks. i still wonder if the G string could be tuned to F#. seems hard to play the opening phrase in dropped-d. hmmm.
here is an mp3 raised up a semi tone:
30 seconds unknown piece Copy.mp3
I missed this, I have played a few in D, but never tried any other combinations. So, if anything it is a Drop D tuning.

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

mc1

Post by mc1 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:59 pm

ashepps wrote:
I missed this, I have played a few in D, but never tried any other combinations. So, if anything it is a Drop D tuning.

Alan
yes, denian, (whoops, i meant stephen) was correct, and i think it's in dropped d tuning. i'm not quite sure why i was wondering if the F# could be an open string.
Last edited by mc1 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:14 pm

mc1 wrote:yes, denian was correct...

I was?

mc1

Post by mc1 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:04 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:

I was?
d'oh! sorry, i meant stephen.

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:25 pm

mc1 wrote:
Denian Arcoleo wrote:
I was?
d'oh! sorry, i meant stephen.
Thanks guys for still trying to figure this one out. I have learned to use Audacity a bit better so I have the sound quality fixed up and I am trying to use tab or note paper to lay down what notes I hear, but have not gotten too far. I searched but I don't believe there is any program that will import this file and give me back a midi.

As I tried to be clear, a couple of post back, but never am, I was trying to say they only pieces that I have ever played by changing one string was the drop D tuning.

It seems that the first note is on the 1st string 9th fret, then F on the 2nd string at the 6th fret and repeated, 11th fret, 2nd string, back to the 11 fret 2nd string, 7th fret, then 2nd string 6 fret. I went further, but I am sure you have see enough.

It was chore for me to keep listening to the piece and trying to get the fret jotted down. This was my first attempt ever trying to write down a piece of music.

Hope everyone keeps trying! :)

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

mc1

Post by mc1 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:47 pm

ashepps wrote: Thanks guys for still trying to figure this one out. I have learned to use Audacity a bit better so I have the sound quality fixed up and I am trying to use tab or note paper to lay down what notes I hear, but have not gotten too far. I searched but I don't believe there is any program that will import this file and give me back a midi.

As I tried to be clear, a couple of post back, but never am, I was trying to say they only pieces that I have ever played by changing one string was the drop D tuning.

It seems that the first note is on the 1st string 9th fret, then F on the 2nd string at the 6th fret and repeated, 11th fret, 2nd string, back to the 11 fret 2nd string, 7th fret, then 2nd string 6 fret. I went further, but I am sure you have see enough.

It was chore for me to keep listening to the piece and trying to get the fret jotted down. This was my first attempt ever trying to write down a piece of music.

Hope everyone keeps trying! :)

Alan
hi alan,

i do believe that, besides having the low E tuned down to D, the whole guitar was also tuned down about a semitone. in other words, in the recording, the guitar is tuned close to Db-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb.

so the first note is actually a D note at the 10th fret. if you check the second post in this thread i posted a your clip raised up a semi tone. you could use this clip, or i could lower a different clip for you. or you could lower your guitar down to match the pitch of your clip.

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:13 pm

mc1 wrote: hi alan, i do believe that, besides having the low E tuned down to D, the whole guitar was also tuned down about a semitone. in other words, in the recording, the guitar is tuned close to Db-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb. so the first note is actually a D note at the 10th fret. if you check the second post in this thread i posted a your clip raised up a semi tone. you could use this clip, or i could lower a different clip for you. or you could lower your guitar down to match the pitch of your clip.
Thanks Morgan,

On June 11th I emailed you with my "better" quality file asking if you could raise them a semitone, but now I have learned how to use Audacity and have done it a little better!

On SoundCloud is the "Unknown Tune" and "Chet Atkins" (unknown), but if you could change the initial file"Unknown Tune" it would be appreciated.

If you felt that the Chet Atkins was out a semitone would it be too much trouble to change that one as well? This is another piece I cannot identify and I hesitate to take this to the forum again after what has happened to this point,

I don't know how hard this is for you, but they are both relatively short pieces.

https://soundcloud.com/alan-13/sets/2-u ... a-semitone

Thanks - Alan
alan.sheppard@gmail.com
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

mc1

Post by mc1 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:48 pm

ashepps wrote:
mc1 wrote: hi alan, i do believe that, besides having the low E tuned down to D, the whole guitar was also tuned down about a semitone. in other words, in the recording, the guitar is tuned close to Db-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb. so the first note is actually a D note at the 10th fret. if you check the second post in this thread i posted a your clip raised up a semi tone. you could use this clip, or i could lower a different clip for you. or you could lower your guitar down to match the pitch of your clip.
Thanks Morgan,

On June 11th I emailed you with my "better" quality file asking if you could raise them a semitone, but now I have learned how to use Audacity and have done it a little better!

On SoundCloud is the "Unknown Tune" and "Chet Atkins" (unknown), but if you could change the initial file"Unknown Tune" it would be appreciated.

If you felt that the Chet Atkins was out a semitone would it be too much trouble to change that one as well? This is another piece I cannot identify and I hesitate to take this to the forum again after what has happened to this point,

I don't know how hard this is for you, but they are both relatively short pieces.

https://soundcloud.com/alan-13/sets/2-u ... a-semitone

Thanks - Alan
alan.sheppard@gmail.com
hi alan,

for some reason i didn't seem to get that email on the 11th. i had a look at soundcloud and downloads aren't enabled for the two tracks. so perhaps you can either enable downloads (for each track, click on the edit pencil icon, then the permissions tab, then the enable downloads option), or send those 2 tracks to my email address.

the one you named chet atkins (unknown) sounded like a classical piece, i thought. it seems to be down about a quarter tone.

regards.

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:42 pm

[/quote] hi alan, for some reason i didn't seem to get that email on the 11th. i had a look at soundcloud and downloads aren't enabled for the two tracks. so perhaps you can either enable downloads (for each track, click on the edit pencil icon, then the permissions tab, then the enable downloads option), or send those 2 tracks to my email address. the one you named chet atkins (unknown) sounded like a classical piece, i thought. it seems to be down about a quarter tone. regards.[/quote]

Morgan, the files were sent by email and it was my mistake you never received my email of May 11th.

Hopefully I have fixed the SoundCloud entry, please let me know if I have failed again!

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/alan-13/sets/2-u ... a-semitone

Thanks for the trouble.

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:18 pm

Well I don't recognize the first piece but the second marked Chet Atkins is the famous Russian Gypsy Folk Song "Two Guitars". There's numerous versions of it on YouTube.

Now I'm a big Chet Atkins fan but I don't think he's ever played or recorded it - I could be wrong, maybe somebody else can verify.

Return to “Extracts of works in progress, 8 bars or 30 seconds maximum”