Miloš Karadaglić - Blackbird, the Beatles Album

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
Guero

Miloš Karadaglić - Blackbird, the Beatles Album

Post by Guero » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:34 pm

In january 2016 Miloš Karadaglić will release his new album: "Blackbird - The Beatles Album" featuring some special guests like Tori Amos, Gregory Porter, Anoushka Shankar, Sergio Assad, Christopher Austin and Steven Isserlis.

Tracklist:
Blackbird, Come Together, The Fool On The Hill, And I Love Her, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Let It Be,Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday, Something, She's Leaving Home, Michelle, Here, There & Everywhere, Here Comes The Sun, All My Loving, Lucy In The Sky.
Sounds quite ambitious, let's see how it'll turn out.

I'm usuallay not a great fan of Beatles cover songs or arrangemnts. I don't even appreciate Takemitsu's Beatles versions a lot although I admire his compositions very much.
When it comes to the Beatles... I don't know why. It's just, well, it's the Beatles! It feels like disenchanting their songs!!
Just my 2 cents..

Greetings, Güero.

Briant

Re: Miloš Karadaglić - Blackbird, the Beatles Album

Post by Briant » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:12 pm

Miloš Karadaglić has very good publicity team working for him. The next edition of BBC music magazine out on 13thJanuary features Karadaglić on the front cover.
There is also an article about Segovia planned.The magazine comes with a CD which will feature Guitar Concertos by Arnold and Villa-lobos.

Miloš certainly manages to bring the guitar to the general public.

Do any UK readers remember John Williams on the Des O' Connor show?

Another regular on UK saturday night television was Manitas de Plata.

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:51 pm

I think doing the Beatles well is tough. It's become almost incumbent upon performers to add something personal to songs that have received perpetual play since the 1960s and 70s; but these songs belong to the Beatles, not only literally, but also because the Beatles have almost always (in my opinion) been the best performers of Beatles songs! Attempts to interpose novel interpretations always invite comparisons.

Still, I've heard some really good versions on classical guitar. I actually like some of Takemitsu's arrangements. I wonder why most of the pieces Milos has chosen have already been done so often. Another "Michelle"? "Eleanor Rigby" again?

6strings

Post by 6strings » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:50 pm

There is no bad song by Beatles :-). I do like Takemitsu's arrangements, of Beatles, and those other few jazzy arrs he did. While one can ceratinly ask do we really need another recording of Takemitsu's arr, so can we as well ask do we really need another Albeniz/Granados album, or another recording of HVL preludes? As well as pianists may ask do we really need another recording of Moonight? Answer is, we probably don't need it, but the artist probably feels need to proof him or herself. And as long as we have the culture of releasing "albums" there will be need to fill the space on recording :-).

About other arrs beside Takemitsu's I also like some of arrs on Söllscher's album which I believe (at least some) are made by another swedish guitarist Börje Sandquist who is more known for his pedagogical work and arrangements than for his playing. I like Brouwers arrs as well. Considering the pr work and industri backing behind Milos, we can probably expect Beatles arr to hold quite of a quallity since they will probably be done by professionals, so why not.

By the way, Beatles has become darlings of classical music community, and it has almost become ubiquitious as producing a Bach album, for good or bad, it is personal I think.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:41 pm

Briant wrote:Miloš Karadaglić has very good publicity team working for him. The next edition of BBC music magazine out on 13thJanuary features Karadaglić on the front cover.
There is also an article about Segovia planned.The magazine comes with a CD which will feature Guitar Concertos by Arnold and Villa-lobos.
I love BBC Music Magazine; but, being a British publication, I really really hope they resist the urge to dredge up, yet again, John Williams's usual anti-Segovia crap on the article on Segovia. We'll see. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:37 am

Much as I like the Beatles in their own context, I find the whole project, plus the promotion of Milos (a good, but by no means world-class) player all rather shallow.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:21 am

Coming soon to an elevator near you...

Iain

Post by Iain » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:27 pm

McCartney tried to learn tarrega's lagrima, couldn't manage it, gave up
and instead pinched the music for the song, Blackbird.

Looks like its gone full circle.

Guero

Post by Guero » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:23 am

Lovemyguitar wrote:Coming soon to an elevator near you...
I've just been listening to these songs: :roll: :( :shock: :| :cry: :twisted:

I'll take the stairs...

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:30 am

Briant wrote:Miloš Karadaglić has very good publicity team working for him...
As did the Beatles.

More power to Milos if he can pay his rent by selling some recordings, but honestly, I wish this beatles mania would roll over and die.
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:40 am

Dirck Nagy wrote: I wish this beatles mania would roll over and die.
+1 Never interested me.
I notice on the BBC they're talking about this album and it opens with Milos playing Let it Be. That song gets my vote for one of the dreariest, most inane songs I've ever heard. And Milos' comment is that the Beatles are equal to Bach.

:(

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:02 pm

I think he is saying Bach and the Beatles both changed the course of music not that they are equal. At least I hope that's what he is saying.

Frankly I would rather listen to Leo Brouwers 'de Bach a los Beatles' album.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:10 pm

Iain wrote:McCartney tried to learn tarrega's lagrima, couldn't manage it, gave up
and instead pinched the music for the song, Blackbird.

Looks like its gone full circle.
McCartney tells in this yt cplip that Blackbird stemmed from the famous Bach Bourré (BWV 996).He awkwardly tries to get the piece together. Might be even harder then playing Lagrima. Carols Bonell is demonstrating to Paul how to play the Bourré right, and then he plays an even more difficult piece from BWV 996, the Presto. Very funny clip. BTW Bonell recorded a lot of Beatles songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9zL_lfGGQw
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:17 pm

Great clip! We all work to our strengths. Carlos probably couldn't write a song like Yesterday...

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:33 pm

Yes, agreed. Great career, if you imagine that he does not even read music. (McCartney, of course, Bonell does)
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”