Miloš Karadaglić - Blackbird, the Beatles Album

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
David Belcher

Re: Miloš Karadaglić - Blackbird, the Beatles Album

Postby David Belcher » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:28 pm

I haven't heard the album yet—just watched the Blackbird video Milos released—but all I have to say is that Sergio Assad did most of the arrangements of these tracks . . . and that alone will likely make me buy this album.
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

Euan Hannah
Amateur luthier

Postby Euan Hannah » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:39 pm

Well I've listened through the album and was somewhat underwhelmed. Nicely played as I would expect but nothing really inspiring or original. I don't think I will be adding it to my favourites.

Lawler

Postby Lawler » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:39 pm

I'm looking forward to hearing this album. I will have it shortly.

Evocacion

Postby Evocacion » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:31 pm

Briant wrote:Do any UK readers remember John Williams on the Des O' Connor show?

Another regular on UK saturday night television was Manitas de Plata.

I do indeed remember Des...

A friend of mine in about 1965 had several Manitas de Plata LPs, and if my memory is not playing tricks one of them had a track with Manitas playing a Beatle tune - I think it was She Loves You - in flamenco style. Sadly, neither the song nor flamenco benefitted from his performance.

cefyn

Postby cefyn » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:55 pm

Anyone see Milos playing Blackbird at the end of the Andrew Marr programme on BBC1, last Sunday? All I can say is it's reassuring to see that even the so-called superstars of Classical Guitar can suffer from nerves and have an 'off day'

Should still be available on the BBC iplayer, I think.

Cef.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

Ray

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:43 am

I just listened to the album on Spotify and I think it's beautiful! :D

Bravo Milos especially for hiring Sergio Assad to do most of the arr.'s which are fantastic! :D

My favorites are Blackbird, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Here There & Everywhere and All My Loving. These are some of the best arr.'s of these songs on classical guitar ever. It's very hard to write a successful arr. and Sergio did a creative and innovative job with these tunes. I like the colorful and tasteful re-harmonizations he employs.

It's all masterfully played and recorded by Milos. The only thing that I was surprised at was his completely uneven and garbled up tremolo in one short section of the All My Loving arrangement, very surprising from a player of this caliber.

Gregory Porter is one of my favorite contemporary singers and he performss a beautiful simple and elegant version of Let It Be with Milos' accompaniment. The duet of Lucy In The Sky with Anoushka Shankar is lovely and pleasantly exotic as well. Michelle with Steven Isserlis on cello is very moving and touching.

I love Beatles music on classical guitar, it fits perfectly. Goran Sollscher's Beatles albums Here There & Everywhere and From Yesterday to Penny Lane are probably my favorites especially with the brilliant arr.s of Borje Sandquist though the Lennon & McCartney album Manuel Barrueco did is great as well with help from the great arranger Jeremy Lubbock.

I read through a bunch of critical comments even from some who hadn't listened to the album yet! :cry:

All I can say is yes, maybe it's elevator music in the sense that it can be used for background relaxing music but then so can a great deal of classical music which is mostly instrumental, that doesn't mean it can't be truly enjoyed - just you take the time to listen to it intently & perceptively, a good pair of headphones might help :D

Ray

Ray

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:25 am

cefyn wrote:Anyone see Milos playing Blackbird at the end of the Andrew Marr programme on BBC1, last Sunday? All I can say is it's reassuring to see that even the so-called superstars of Classical Guitar can suffer from nerves and have an 'off day'

Cef.

Thanks Cefyn for the heads up - I wasn't able to access BBC1 with iPlayer in my country but somebody recently uploaded Milos' Blackbird performance from the Andrew Marr show on YouTube and I agree Milos was sputtering out notes - it seemed to be a right hand problem - the studio might have been very cold and his RH tensed up making it hard to play relaxed. Fantastic arrangement by Sergio Assad, definitely the best for solo classical guitar I've ever heard.

Ray

cefyn

Postby cefyn » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:34 pm

Ray wrote:
cefyn wrote:Anyone see Milos playing Blackbird at the end of the Andrew Marr programme on BBC1, last Sunday? All I can say is it's reassuring to see that even the so-called superstars of Classical Guitar can suffer from nerves and have an 'off day'

Cef.

Thanks Cefyn for the heads up - I wasn't able to access BBC1 with iPlayer in my country but somebody recently uploaded Milos' Blackbird performance from the Andrew Marr show on YouTube and I agree Milos was sputtering out notes - it seemed to be a right hand problem - the studio might have been very cold and his RH tensed up making it hard to play relaxed. Fantastic arrangement by Sergio Assad, definitely the best for solo classical guitar I've ever heard.

Ray

Yes, it sounded like it could be a wonderful arrangement. I doubt the tv studio was cold, though - aren't they supposed to be really hot?
Maybe it was hot & humid and Milos' strings were like rubber bands! That could account for the poor (by his usual standard) playing.

Cef.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:50 pm

Ray wrote:... I read through a bunch of critical comments even from some who hadn't listened to the album yet! :cry:
All I can say is yes, maybe it's elevator music in the sense that it can be used for background relaxing music...

Hey, I resemble that comment! I am not going to apologise for not liking arrangements of pop songs on classical guitar. I just don't, I hate them, I can't stand them, no matter how well they are arranged or performed, I just don't like listening to them. I love The Beatles, I love classical music, but I do not want them mixed together. If you do, great, if others enjoy it, fine, but we don't all like the same things, that's just the way it is. Cheers!

Ray

Postby Ray » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:13 am

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Ray wrote:... I read through a bunch of critical comments even from some who hadn't listened to the album yet! :cry:
All I can say is yes, maybe it's elevator music in the sense that it can be used for background relaxing music...

Hey, I resemble that comment! I am not going to apologise for not liking arrangements of pop songs on classical guitar. I just don't, I hate them, I can't stand them, no matter how well they are arranged or performed, I just don't like listening to them. I love The Beatles, I love classical music, but I do not want them mixed together. If you do, great, if others enjoy it, fine, but we don't all like the same things, that's just the way it is. Cheers!

If you don't like classical arr.'s of Beatles songs then why comment at all on this thread? The discussion is about Milos' new album, which you you obviously didn't bother to listen to, so what contribution are you giving here other than calling something you haven't heard "elevator music" (in the pejorative sense of the term of course)? It just makes people interested in discussing the album feel bad and it's unfair because you haven't even bothered to listen to it. :roll:

I know we like to lump music into categories: pop, rock, jazz, blues, country, etc.. but honestly if it's a beautiful song and simply good music our beloved instrument can possibly play it if it's technically suitable and arranged in an intelligent and tasteful manner.

The great Sergio Assad did a bunch of these arrangements on this album for Milos - I think these arrangements are very beautiful and are the product of a brilliant mind - of course Sergio is well known as a brilliant and innovative composer for the guitar and arranger of other types of music from Rameau to Jobim to Pixinguinha to Gismonti to Gershwin so I'm not surprised that these Beatles arrangements are brilliant, innovative and beautiful as well.

Maybe if you did listen to it and then were more specific as to why you didn't like it I could accept it but to pop in a thread and make an elevator music comment about music you haven't heard isn't very constructive. :cry:

Ray

David_Norton

Postby David_Norton » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:33 pm

Due to copyright, I can't post the link However, please look up "Quatre coccinelles dans un champ de fraises - Claude Gagnon" on YT for a clever take on how Gagnon utilized Beatles themes in an orignial piece. A video which, curiously, I note was posted exactly one year ago today.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Evocacion

Postby Evocacion » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:01 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Ray wrote:... I love The Beatles, I love classical music, but I do not want them mixed together...

Hang in there for another couple of decades and the Beatles will be classed as classical music.

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:45 pm

Evocacion wrote:
Lovemyguitar wrote:...I love The Beatles, I love classical music, but I do not want them mixed together...

Hang in there for another couple of decades and the Beatles will be classed as classical music.

Well, I certainly plan to hang in there for that long, and then some! You are probably correct about that, although I think that it will take longer than 20 years. If there ever comes a time when The Beatles as The Beatles begins to fade from the popular consciousness, then perhaps their tunes, in any shape or form they may appear, will be apprehended differently. I mean, it may be that many people (particularly those inclined to "classical music") will hear arrangements only and know nothing of the "originals", just as undoubtedly there must be older classical music based on popular tunes of the day but with many of us having no knowledge of the original tunes, just the instrumental arrangements that came later. I can imagine that occurring with The Beatles' tunes. But, of course, this is all just speculation, and I have absolutely no idea what will happen.

However, I shall say no more on this particular subject, because I have been told that my contributions to this thread are not welcome. Cheerio! :wink:

zupfgeiger

Postby zupfgeiger » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:05 am

Without having the intention to insult Milos' admirers I must say that I find the new Beatles album quite boring and also a touch too shmalzy for my taste. Maybe it's not even related to Milos' playing but to the fact that I always liked the Stones more than the Beatles. In more generic terms I would wish that Milos would go a bit beyond his very popular repertoire and try out something really new. But one has to admit that he is developing a very successful career with the guitar. With the help of Deutsche Grammophon he can't fail. Everything is perfectly orchestrated by the label's marketing experts. Interviews with magazines and newspapers, appearance on TV in a prime time show - big is beautiful for Deutsche Grammophon. On spotify Milos has gathered 87 000 listeners per month. What an amazing figure for a classical guitarist. There are not so many who have more listeners on the leading streaming service. I only found John Williams (171 000). Andres Segovia has only 36 300 and Julian Bream 42 000 monthly listeners. And Wulfin Lieske, a wonderful guitarist from Cologne, playing Torres' famous "La Leona" on stage, has 477. Just an example that explains the diffrence between musician career and musician career with Deutsche Grammophon.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Fritz Ober, Hauser/Torres model, spruce/BRAZ, 2015
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Yamaha SLG200S, silent guitar

Rasqeo

Postby Rasqeo » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:26 pm

At the risk of turning this into a Milos bashing thread I have to agree with many of the negative comments. His popularity is out of all proportion to his ability. He is a competent, but unremarkable, guitarist who has the the right face and is therefore being propelled to stardom by the weight of the music business marketing machine.

If Segovia and Bream have fewer listens on streaming services that is probably more a reflection of the listening demographic for such services. Nevertheless, it is a depressing statistic. My only hope is that by attracting more people to classical guitar, they might one day move on to listen to players of more substance and ability.

Harsh? Perhaps, but then no worse than the manipulating tactics used by the record industry.

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”