Miloš Karadaglić - Blackbird, the Beatles Album

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
lucy

Re: Miloš Karadaglić - Blackbird, the Beatles Album

Postby lucy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:22 pm

Ray wrote:
cefyn wrote:Anyone see Milos playing Blackbird at the end of the Andrew Marr programme on BBC1, last Sunday? All I can say is it's reassuring to see that even the so-called superstars of Classical Guitar can suffer from nerves and have an 'off day'

Should still be available on the BBC iplayer, I think.

Cef.

I agree Milos was sputtering out notes - it seemed to be a right hand problem - the studio might have been very cold and his RH tensed up making it hard to play relaxed.

Ray

Did you know that Milos has recently recovered from a hand injury? I have a feeling this may be related to his right-hand problem in the studio. To me, his RH looks very tense. I hope it gets better fully! Maybe he's had to retrain it, or modify his technique somewhat?

Having said that, Milos doesn't always perform flawlessly anyway. I've seen him live a few times and sometimes he makes simple mistakes, I don't know why. I know he's perfectly capable of playing even really difficult music brilliantly. One of the occasions I saw him play at the Wigmore Hall, he was on fire and made barely a single error in the whole concert.

For those who say he is an "unremarkable" guitarist, I would say take the trouble to see him live. To me, he always plays so fluently and without any awkwardness, which makes him a pleasure to listen to. He seems to just "go for it". I first heard him play, when he was a struggling unknown guitarist, at a concert my local guitar society organised and I have to say, I thought then, Wow, that was quite different to what I usually hear.

Of course, his looks do help (!) but I can only say, perhaps some people should try and see beyond the marketing, which apparently puts some people off and listen more carefully. It's actually quite ironic that the marketing is supposed to make people think he's great, but in certain circles it has the opposite effect!

Nearly forgot to say, I like the album very much and agree with much of what Ray said about it!
"Art is never finished, only abandoned". Leonardo da Vinci

cefyn

Postby cefyn » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:03 pm

lucy wrote:Did you know that Milos has recently recovered from a hand injury? I have a feeling this may be related to his right-hand problem in the studio. To me, his RH looks very tense. I hope it gets better fully! Maybe he's had to retrain it, or modify his technique somewhat?

I didn't know that - that would explain it. Bang goes my theory that the nerves got to him and he turned out to be mere mortal!

I heard on the radio, a wigmore hall concert by Milos, and it was outstanding.

Cef.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

Rasqeo

Postby Rasqeo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:25 am

I would be prepared to see Milos live lucy if it were not for the fact I would have to pay an over-inflated price for the ticket (that marketing costs a lot of money after all) to see a concert of 'popular classics' and tired old Spanish repertoire played reasonably well. Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm sure Milos is a nice guy and perhaps he thinks that's the way to reach a wider audience and survive in the age of digital streaming services. I don't know. But can you imagine Segovia, Bream et al compromising their music in order to achieve their popularity? At what point does the cost become too high? Food for thought.

zupfgeiger

Postby zupfgeiger » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:38 am

lucy wrote:Of course, his looks do help (!) but I can only say, perhaps some people should try and see beyond the marketing, which apparently puts some people off and listen more carefully. It's actually quite ironic that the marketing is supposed to make people think he's great, but in certain circles it has the opposite effect!

What circles are you referring to, lucy? Please explain what you mean. Although I expressed my ambiguous feelings about this album I was speaking just for myself. BTW I am not voting for a marketing ban in the music industry. Marketing in general and Deutsche Grammophon in particular help artists to boost classical music. DG promots world famous orchestras and musicians. Nothing wrong about that. But I am not sure about Milos. I listened to all his albums, saw him twice on TV and went to a concert in Frankfurt some years ago. He is good, but has flaws and I don't see him in the very first league of world class players. I think DG is focussing very much on his sweet latino, mediterraneo touch. That sells better than ambitious repertoire. Since DG is a part of the Universal Music Group their marketing strategy has changed a lot - not for the better, I think. Enjoy Milos, but please don't put him on the same level with guitarists like Marcin Dylla, Jason Vieaux or Johannes Möller, just to name a few.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Fritz Ober, Hauser/Torres model, spruce/BRAZ, 2015
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Yamaha SLG200S, silent guitar

djajasoekarta

Postby djajasoekarta » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:50 am

I would be interested if someone write a review about this album. It's out for several days but I don't know why I'm not interested to spend a single penny for them.

Anyway, some mainstream media (Forbes, Telegraph) wrote a news about it. A great feat for classical guitarist despite the worn out repertoire he offer. I'm not sure if this will bring some positive effect to our discipline
'The woolen cloth of his suit made me question the value of Chinese silks. His fountain pen made me ashamed of my writing brushes and Chinese writing paper' - Puyi

'I don't write music to be difficult, only to be more like itself' - Harrison Birtwistle

tom2977

Postby tom2977 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:21 pm

Manipulating. Hmm. Just because the majority are not into high art does not mean that it is a conspiracy that Milos is popular. i am not a fan but i congratulate him kn a job well done in carving out his career. Recognise that there is a market for this stuff and that market is not the purist highbrow guitarist. It is easy listening and lightweight yet it has its place. (That said its not in any playlist of mine. )
My only criticism of Milos is that his sound lacks brilliance and colour to my ear. I havent heard him live though.

Rasqeo

Postby Rasqeo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:07 pm

tom2977 wrote:Manipulating. Hmm. Just because the majority are not into high art does not mean that it is a conspiracy that Milos is popular. i am not a fan but i congratulate him kn a job well done in carving out his career. Recognise that there is a market for this stuff and that market is not the purist highbrow guitarist. It is easy listening and lightweight yet it has its place. (That said its not in any playlist of mine. )
My only criticism of Milos is that his sound lacks brilliance and colour to my ear. I havent heard him live though.

That's the point though. I agree it's easy listening and lightweight. But you won't hear that mentioned in the recent BBC Music magazine interview with Milos where he is painted as the next 'saviour' of the guitar, rescuing it from the doldrums of mediocrity in the vein of Segovia. Pretentious much?

I'm not looking for easy targets to criticise - if the BBC article was more balanced I would have nothing but praise. I have no problem with them putting Milos on the cover (even though there are more deserving candidates). But don't paint him as the next Segovia or Bream (referring to the BBC not you Tom). That's just patronising and frankly an insult to their legacies.

tom2977

Postby tom2977 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Don't look to BBC Music magazine to give you the low down. The BBC are becoming increasingly celebrity obsessed like most media outlets. This is true in all areas of life. Reporters who don't know the field report lazily. That article was outrageous if taken as any representation of the truth. It was a list of the current celebrities of guitar in the UK (with quotes from their marketing gurus) + 3 giants of the guitar who are household names (and deserve to be).

I have no dispute with you Rasqeo - i think we are saying the same things with a slightly different balance. I just don't think we should be surprised that people pander to the mass market. And i don't expect the mass market to be musically that discriminating. :)

That said Milos is a very fine guitarist BTW.

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:38 pm

Ray wrote:...Maybe if you did listen to it and then were more specific as to why you didn't like it I could accept it but to pop in a thread and make an elevator music comment about music you haven't heard isn't very constructive...

Okay, I have listened to "Come Together" from this album. The first part, the "arrangement" of the tune, while it did have a nice groove (and thus not "elevator"-like, so I retract that comment for this piece!), it was, for me, a bit too much rock-'n'-roll and not really what I would call "classical music". It sounded like a couple of classically trained musicians just riffing an instrumental version of a rock song (oh wait, that's what it was, more or less!). They did it well, I will give them that.

However, I do rather like the last bit, from about 1:18 onwards, when it is no longer an arrangement of "Come Together", but Sergio Assad's own creative interpretation/variation, call it what you will. That part is original and more interesting to me.

Cheers!

ibarnett01

Postby ibarnett01 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:00 am

Well regrettably Milos hand injury continues and he has had to cancel his Royal Albert Hall performance next month and stop playing for the forseeable future. Details are here - http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/ ... 016/milos/

I understand the concert was pretty much sold out which would have been over 5000 tickets and at a conservative estimate, £175,000 (USD212,000)gross in ticket sales.

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:21 am

Hi ibarnett01. Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the information. What an awful thing to have to deal with.

It would be appreciated if you would introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Guero

Postby Guero » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:00 pm

This is sad news. I hope he`ll be better soon!!

Adrian Allan

Postby Adrian Allan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:14 am

It seems so extreme, makes you wonder if it's another case of focal dystonia a la Nicola Hall etc.

lucy

Postby lucy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:28 pm

Well, he did have an extremely punishing schedule. I once heard David Russell say he wouldn't want to do what Milos is having to do!!

Really hope he does recover. It would be a great shame if he doesn't, for him personally, and the CG.
"Art is never finished, only abandoned". Leonardo da Vinci

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”