Ernest Shand CD

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
cefyn

Ernest Shand CD

Post by cefyn » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi all,
my teacher Jonathan Richards has just made and released 'More-ish Melodies' The Music of Ernest Shand 1868 - 1924

He can be contacted via his website http://www.jonathanrichardsguitar.co.uk

My wife drew the cover image as a sort of loose reference to Shand's 'DayJob' being a Music Hall Comedian!

He's also recorded a radio documentary for BBC Radio4 about the life and music of Ernest Shand - I'll post the time when it's scheduled.
Shand CD1.jpg
Cef
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Ernest Shand CD

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:10 pm

Very interesting Cef. I wonder if you could ask Jonathan where he got the music for Moorish Melody from, as pretty sure that's not in either of the publications I have.

Interesting also that he used a Torres copy, which makes much sense - except that in his Method Shand only talks about early C19th guitars, and seems to have had no idea of the 'modern world' in technique or lutherie. Most unlike an Englishman to be completely ignorant of the continent of Europe!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:19 am

cefyn wrote:Hi all,
my teacher Jonathan Richards has just made and released 'More-ish Melodies' The Music of Ernest Shand 1868 - 1924
Hi Cef

I'm not finding the CD anywhere on the internet. Are they available yet?
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:24 am

Hi, he's not selling them online - he doesn't do online! He just looked at me puzzled when I said he should. When I asked how he is going to sell them, he said people can phone him and arrange it that way - his number's on his website - he doesn't even have an email address!
It's a really beautiful CD though.

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:33 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:Very interesting Cef. I wonder if you could ask Jonathan where he got the music for Moorish Melody from, as pretty sure that's not in either of the publications I have.

Interesting also that he used a Torres copy, which makes much sense - except that in his Method Shand only talks about early C19th guitars, and seems to have had no idea of the 'modern world' in technique or lutherie. Most unlike an Englishman to be completely ignorant of the continent of Europe!
Hi Stephen - I'll ask him at my next lesson. I'll mention the lutherie question too. He's very well up on Shand, and has collected a lot of stuff!
Cef

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:16 am

cefyn wrote:
Stephen Kenyon wrote:Very interesting Cef. I wonder if you could ask Jonathan where he got the music for Moorish Melody from, as pretty sure that's not in either of the publications I have.

Hi Stephen - I'll ask him at my next lesson. I'll mention the lutherie question too. He's very well up on Shand, and has collected a lot of stuff!
Cef
Well I'd be very interested to talk to him if he has any pieces not present in existing publications. I found one piece that is not published and is quite possibly a unique survival. It may be missing a page.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:24 am

Hi Stephen - I think he'd love to speak to another Shand fan - I'll see him this evening for my lesson and tell him you might be in touch, so you're not calling cold.

I've learnt 'forever' so far and I think 'legend' is on the cards soon.
Cef.

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”