DVD: Julian Bream's " -My Life in Music" -

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

DVD: Julian Bream's " -My Life in Music" -

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:39 pm

I just viewed this excellent DVD and I can highly recommend it. Bream talks extensively about all aspects of his long career, and this is supported by footage of him playing at that particular time. This includes his lute music, work with the Julian Bream Consort, some early spanish 4 and 5 string guitar performances, and many pieces showing off his 1972 Romanillos guitar, as well as one played on a 30's Hauser which he has on permanent loan from the family. That Hauser has all kinds of wear or finish degradation below the sound hole, but it sounds incredible. There are many creative shots where you can see things like the height of the bridge saddle for instance, and the right hand from more of a player's-eye view. Besides this there's a duet with John Williams where you can see clearly just how short Williams right hand nails are, particularly the thumb. You don't get a very good look at his famous Fleta however, the back of the headstock is about all that's visible. Other highlights are a jam session in Bream's apartment where he plays with a jazz combo that includes electric guitar; Bream takes a nice Django Reinhard-style solo on his classical.

Overall, Bream has many interesting things to say, and it reminds you that when he was a young musician there were no classical guitar players to speak of in England. He had to study Cello and Piano at the Royal College of Music and sneak his guitar in to the practice rooms, where it caused such a stir that the school forbad him to do this; he thinks because they knew it would create interest in the instrument and they had no one to teach it.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Sean

Re: DVD: Julian Bream's " -My Life in Music" -

Post by Sean » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:31 pm

I agree, it's a great DVD; I just wish he'd make another one!

mipula

Post by mipula » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:29 am

Hi! I'd like to know where did you find this movie? Do you have the link of it?

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:35 am

I was able to borrow it via interlibrary loan at Oregon State University, below is an *** Commercial link removed *** link

http://www.*** Commercial link removed ***/My-Life-Music-Jul ... B000KC6SZY
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Sean

Post by Sean » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:41 am

Aw, just break down and buy it off fleabay - it's easily worth the money.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:29 pm

whoops, sorry about that careless reference in the post.
Jeremy

John Spain

Post by John Spain » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:23 am

It's a fantastic video. I've had it for ages, having bought my copy at a famous London music shop. He seems totally at ease talking to the camera, and really allows the viewer into his world and his life. For me, it's probably the best video of its type I've ever seen. He seems funny, confident, and you get the impression that he absolutely loved being a musician. All the performance footage is excellent, with fantastic interpretations of all the music he plays. I am a tad biased in his favour, as not only is he my favourite guitarist, but he's also my favourite musician, and I'm so glad to be able to hear and see him whenever I feel like it.
Make mine a Franziskaner Wheatbeer

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:33 am

agreed, that's a fantastic DVD. Highly recommended.

Moderato

Post by Moderato » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:44 pm

I have this DVD also. Julian Bream has an awesome personality, I'd love to have a few pints and listen to him play!
03 Ramirez 1a CD/BR
06 Baroque Lute - 13 Course w/Bass Rider

Vivace

Post by Vivace » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:34 am

I agree, that's a fantastic DVD. Highly recommended. I have this DVD

Regards

mousemat

Post by mousemat » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:13 am

This DVD really puts into context what an easy time we have of it now. We can purchase scores or recorded music quite easily but in those days it was much more difficult to obtain. When people make comments or criticisms of performers from the past they really ought to look into the context of the era before passing judgment. This DVD goes into more detail of the times.

I wish more stuff like this was available.

:bravo:
mousemat

LVR

Post by LVR » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:12 am

You convinced me. I just ordered it from fleabay. Thanks for the good advice.
The basic thing about playing the guitar is the pleasure you get from it. There's nothing wrong with pleasure is there?
Julian Bream

John Spain

Post by John Spain » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:22 pm

Moderato wrote:I have this DVD also. Julian Bream has an awesome personality, I'd love to have a few pints and listen to him play!
Definitely!I know he liked a bit of "linctus" as he called it in his equally excellent book, !A life on the Road", and I think he'd have made a great drinking companion!
Make mine a Franziskaner Wheatbeer

Quijote

Post by Quijote » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:12 pm

It is an excellent DVD.

However, I have always found Bream to be incredibly enigmatic. Possibly it adds to his persona?

I have read and listened to so much about Bream yet really only know the same stories he always recites. I was very surprised to hear him allude once to a second wife. I think - in spite of a lifetime as a fan and reading what I can of the man - that I actually know very little about the "real" Julian Bream.

LVR

Post by LVR » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:33 pm

He's a story-teller and a very good one. The stories have to develop and change from time to time because that's what stories do. I was fascinated to note that his mother went from Portuguese Jewish descent to Celtic between A Life on the Road and My Life in Music. He's brilliant and completely charming and all that will ever be known of his innermost feelings will be in the music he plays. I'm an abject and total fan. Buy the book and the DVD both; you'll love them.
The basic thing about playing the guitar is the pleasure you get from it. There's nothing wrong with pleasure is there?
Julian Bream

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”