John Mills new DVD

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
Luis_Br

John Mills new DVD

Post by Luis_Br » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:38 am

This will be certainly a great DVD!
Here is a sample where he discusses tone color on the guitar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzAnV3Q6QMY

George Crocket

Re: John Mills new DVD

Post by George Crocket » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:05 pm

It certainly looks interesting. Thanks for posting.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

jeff_hatcher

Post by jeff_hatcher » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:27 pm

This was produced by David Jaggs, who will also be releasing a DVD this fall on playing medieval/renaissance music on guitar. One of his previous downloadable videos on guitar tone production was well worth the 2 pounds he charged.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:05 am

That Paul Fischer guitar he plays on that video simply sounds marvelous! Thank you for posting!

laoren

Post by laoren » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks for the posting. It certainly looked set to be one of the better DVDs around. I enjoyed some of the pieces and of course the little story telling in other video excerpts of the DVD.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:15 pm

When I listen to the beautiful sound he can get from the sliping stroke he explains, I wonder why modern guitarists do not use this kind of technique anymore.

Praeludium

Post by Praeludium » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:40 pm

It might be worth mentionning that he has ENORMOUS nails. I mean, is it even possible to do such stroke with short nails ?
Another way of plucking the strings which is seldom used nowadays is the Presti/Lagoya school. But it also looks like it needs big long naisl to work.

Also, it doesn't looks like he gets a huge tone with this technique. I wonder how well it would compare in term of volume with "normal strokes". If you can't be heard a technique is useless...
He seems to move his whole right hand a lot. I wonder how technically limiting it is... Not really convinced by his RH (but if it works for him and what he plays...). Kayath seems to be much more interesting in a guitarist point of view (and otherwise imo) for the big old school tone.
Cette dernière trahison m'a été également reprochée. Ce que je trouve à répondre, c'est:"merde aux conventions!"

- Ligeti

laoren

Post by laoren » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Praeludium wrote: Kayath seems to be much more interesting in a guitarist point of view (and otherwise imo) for the big old school tone.
Could you care to elaborate? Thanks.

laoren

Post by laoren » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Luis_Br wrote:When I listen to the beautiful sound he can get from the sliping stroke he explains, I wonder why modern guitarists do not use this kind of technique anymore.
I would actually be interested in what situation would someone uses this "slipping stroke" to be tastefully done. But I learned something new from the video which is good.

So maybe either modern guitarists didn't know them, or they had other things in mind.

petec

Post by petec » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on the new John Mills DVD, I'm really looking forward to getting a copy. I've always wondered why John Mills didn't record that much,I don't think there are any CDs of his playing available.This is a shame as he is such great guitarist and I've always enjoyed his recitals for many years now.Anyway, this DVD is most welcome!

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi Pete.

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules, then please introduce yourself here for a proper welcome.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:33 pm

Praeludium wrote:Also, it doesn't looks like he gets a huge tone with this technique. I wonder how well it would compare in term of volume with "normal strokes". If you can't be heard a technique is useless...
Having sat next to John Mills and his Paul Fischer guitar a few days ago at West Dean, I'd say he gets plenty of volume!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:57 pm

Looks promising.

Am thinking they could have mic'd Mr. Mills better so his voice would be clearer and not impacted by the echoes at the studio.

michael76

Post by michael76 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:24 pm

Luis_Br wrote:This will be certainly a great DVD!
Here is a sample where he discusses tone color on the guitar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzAnV3Q6QMY
I can't recall what is the name of the piece he plays at 00:46 of this video.Anyone??

petec

Post by petec » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:26 am

It's the start of the 2nd movement of Tedesco's Guitar Concerto No.1.

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”