John Mills new DVD

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
rolan

Re: John Mills new DVD

Post by rolan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:32 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote: Well, the modern guitar pedagogy which today produces so many wonderful young technicians of the guitar has spread around the conservatories of the world This pedagogy appears to be very rigid and uniform: nearly all of the young competition winners seem to play with an extremely motionless right hand, very small finger strokes, almost no apoyando, shoulders and posture relaxed and so on. The result of this technical uniformity does appear to be a uniformity of tone and even interpretation, hence the often repeated accusation that the new wave of competition winners sound sterile and very similar to one another.
I couldn't disagree more. imo most young competition winner have as much variation in tone colour, dynamics etc. as segovia, bream etc.
maybe not in the competition itself, but certainly in most of the concerts i recently attended. the reason why some people say the sound sterile is just because the play much cleaner than segovia.

jeff_hatcher

Post by jeff_hatcher » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:55 am

Received the DVD today and just finished watching it.

Wow. Just... wow. This is one of those documentaries you want to watch over and over. I wasn't familiar with John Mills before, but I won't forget him now. His playing is expressive and captivating, and they managed to do an excellent job with the recording of his performances. Crisp, clean, and detailed. It will be appreciated by all that the camera clearly captured his hands during the filming of his numerous musical examples, as well his two performance pieces; "Entree" by Tansman and "Elegia" by Torroba.

John's discussions were interesting, and his way of speaking and general manner were quite agreeable- very easy to listen to. He began with very brief talk on the development and construction of the classical guitar, and then went into a little more detail on the development of modern classical technique (specifically, posture and right hand techniques). The next 4 chapters of the DVD consisted of John's discussion of classical technique. The DVD did not concentrate on the minutia of the techniques (as listed on the jacket: "Vibrato", "Compensation and tonal shading", "dynamics, balance, and tone color", and "rubato and portamento"). Instead, there was a brief discussion of the technique (or approach) itself, followed by a more in depth discussion on how it contributed to the feel or tone of the music. These discussions were punctuated by Johns masterful guitar work, which clearly demonstrated both the application of the techniques, as well as his mastery of them. For these chapters alone I will be watching the DVD many times over.

The DVD wraps up with a short talk on modern composers, and reminiscences of the Segovia masterclass he attended. The DVD concluded with the two performance pieces mentioned previously.

All in all, the DVD was well produced and should be a real treat for classical guitarists.
:bravo:
*** The DVD seems to be locked into whichever region England/Scotland belong to. The DVD would not play in my standalone bluray or DVD players, but did not have any problem opening up in Windows on my PC. I got the "region prohibited" message, so I know that this is the problem. A bit of a snag for we Americans, but not insurmountable *****

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:44 am

Thanks for the review Jeff. It's good to read such an endorsement.
jeff_hatcher wrote:*** The DVD seems to be locked into whichever region England/Scotland belong to. The DVD would not play in my standalone bluray or DVD players, but did not have any problem opening up in Windows on my PC. I got the "region prohibited" message, so I know that this is the problem. A bit of a snag for we Americans, but not insurmountable *****
David Jaggs just joined the forum, so with any luck he will see this and respond (or you could try sending him a PM).
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

jeff_hatcher

Post by jeff_hatcher » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:36 am

George Crocket wrote:Thanks for the review Jeff. It's good to read such an endorsement.
jeff_hatcher wrote:*** The DVD seems to be locked into whichever region England/Scotland belong to. The DVD would not play in my standalone bluray or DVD players, but did not have any problem opening up in Windows on my PC. I got the "region prohibited" message, so I know that this is the problem. A bit of a snag for we Americans, but not insurmountable *****
David Jaggs just joined the forum, so with any luck he will see this and respond (or you could try sending him a PM).
I've already emailed him on the topic. There doesn't seem to be any issue with playback on PC (which is where I watch most of my movies anyway... I use a 42" LCD as my monitor). It wasn't really a complaint, just an advisement so folks weren't caught off-guard.

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”