David Russell: Tarrega, Integral de Guitarra

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
jfdana

David Russell: Tarrega, Integral de Guitarra

Postby jfdana » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:50 pm

While listening to this favorite CD set I did a quick search. Strings by Mail seems to have it in stock; others may as well. The long lost best recording ever.

By far the best recording of guitar music ever (John Taylor setting the mark); David playing completely wonderfully.

Ignore at your peril.

JD

Pierre330

Re: David Russell: Tarrega, Integral de Guitarra

Postby Pierre330 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:05 pm

One of my faves as well!
Pierre

A painter paints pictures on canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence. - Leopold Stokowski

GerardCousins
Concert performers

Postby GerardCousins » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:07 pm

I agree - the sound of this cd is magical

jpryan

Postby jpryan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks for the tip. Just ordered from SBM.
--John

montana

Postby montana » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:28 am

i will be doing the same

montana

Postby montana » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:40 am

just to clarify.. is that the 49.95 cd? if so i will pass for now, there is a strike looming

jpryan

Postby jpryan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:41 am

Yes, it was $49.95 for the 2-cd set. Maybe a little steep, but I couldn't find it new or used anywhere else for a better price.
--John

David_Norton

Postby David_Norton » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:26 am

I own this set, and don't much care for it. Fine playing, but the repertoire is too familiar by now. PM me if interested in making an acquisition.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

jfdana

Postby jfdana » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi David,

Glad you didn't give up the guitar altogether last year as you had announced on all the forums. Always good to steal a page from Mark Twain.

So sorry you have become quite so disaffected with Tarrega's music; I, on the other hand find this recital, paid for by Tarrega's home town, as a matter of municipal pride, quite moving. As such, for me it will always be a great cd: it has the (deserved) reputation as being the best guitar performance ever recorded, thanks to David's playing, of course, but, moreover, due to John Taylor's masterful mastering. They both really set the bar for the sound of recorded guitar. Even the "Woods so Wild" (my desert island cd) pales by comparison.

I know that SBM's price is higher than Wallyworld's is for generic guitar recordings, but it sure beats the $200 that this particular CD costs on e - b a y. Hope you sell yours soon and deacquisition this "too familiar" rep. Someone will appreciate your change in tune.

I do hope that anyone who buys the CD posts their impressions on this thread, as others may benefit (or not as their other guitar cd's pale by comparison).

Best wishes,

John Dana

David_Norton

Postby David_Norton » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:11 am

jfdana wrote:Hi David,

Glad you didn't give up the guitar altogether last year as you had announced on all the forums. Always good to steal a page from Mark Twain.

John, the two go hand-in-glove. My renewed interest in CG playing came precisely from NOT playing familiar rent-a-programme repertoire of Tarrega, Albeniz, HVL, and the others. I performed a very successful solo recital last Saturday of some 75 minutes of music which has all been penned since 1980, to solid audience acclaim. Details are listed under the "Concerts USA" sub-forum. Several people asked where they might buy the scores for what I put forth. There is simply no way that I could have motivated myself to bring this same degree of enthusiasm and energy to a programme of Standards.

I'm now looking at "what to learn next?" On one level, part of me wants to go back and do some Old Favorites, yet the larger part of me wants to move forward into unknown territories. Time will tell!
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Fling13

Postby Fling13 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:04 am

I'm pretty sure I have this, is it a two cd set, or just one?

Oldhand

Postby Oldhand » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:34 am

One of the finest recording of CG ever made. I stumbled upon this 2 CD set on Naxos. Generally, I pay more attention to the performers' abilities than to the music itself or the composer. But Russell's recording achieved something very rare for me, namely, I forgot about the performer but instead was transported into the brilliant musical mind of Tarrega himself...David disappeared himself. In my mind, that is the highest achievement possible for a classical guitarist...this is when the performer themselves achieve the level of art. My view is that less than 1% of professionals ever reach this level, even in the controlled environment of the recording studio. Others that come to mind would be Segovia selective pieces, Yepes, Bream Lute recordings, early Parkening, Dyens. Sometimes it seems to me too many focus on demonstrating their virtuosity via speed and length rather than bringing out the composer's musical art. Russell achieved the ultimate in my mind with the Tarrega recordings in channeling Tarrega back to life. So I say, with a twist to a cliche, "It's the music, Stupid!"

Guitar-ded

Postby Guitar-ded » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:47 pm

I just stumbled onto this recording and can't seem to find it to buy anywhere.
Does anyone have a copy they might be willing to sell on for a reasonable price?

PM me if you do.
Thanks.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

mrb

Postby mrb » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:22 pm

Just bought the last copy from the German big river site for 50 Euros. Can't wait!!

mrb

Guitar-ded

Postby Guitar-ded » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:08 pm

mrb wrote:Just bought the last copy from the German big river site for 50 Euros. Can't wait!!

mrb

Thanks, pal. :roll: :lol:

I forgot to say that I got fixed up, so thanks to those who pm'ed.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”