John Mills double CD " -Segovia: The Ramirez Years" -

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
David_Norton

John Mills double CD " -Segovia: The Ramirez Years" -

Post by David_Norton » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:39 pm

I am surprised no one has commented on this new double-CD release yet.

David Jaggs, Simon Cartwright, and team have simply outdone themselves with this new effort. The theme is unabashedly a Segovia tribute album, but done at a supremely high level. I've now listened to both discs several times, and would seriously nominate the album for "Best Solo Classical Instrumental Recording" for this year. Disc 1 contains pieces written for Segovia, including Tansman's In Modo Polonico, Duarte's English Suite, Ponce's Sonata Mexicana, and Torroba's Suite Castellana. Single-movement works by Haug, Tedesco, and Rodrigo intersperse the larger compositions. 68:40 recording time.

Disc 2 is a set of Segovia transcriptions (well, OK, also ones made by Tarrega, Llobet, & Lorimer). These include works from Purcell, Rameau, Bach, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Greig, Albeniz, and several others. Nothing by Granados, which I thought a mite odd, but one can't squeeze everything into just under 66 minutes of CD time, and it really is not "missed".

Mills plays these works on a 2012 Ramirez 1a, intentionally commemorating 100 years since Segovia got his Manuel Ramirez guitar. There's a very detailed 24-page booklet which comes with the album, all packaged in a DVD size case rather than the traditional jewel case size.

A Google search for "Segovia the Ramirez years" will point you to the source for purchase.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Mick the Ramirez Man

Re: John Mills double CD " -Segovia: The Ramirez Years" -

Post by Mick the Ramirez Man » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:54 pm

I checked out the YouTube video by John Mills talking about how and why he made this recording. This is great!!! Thanx for letting us know!!! :-D
Ramirez 4NE, Ramirez R4 and Ramirez R1

montana

Post by montana » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks David...will check it out.

Toad

Post by Toad » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:32 pm

Lovely playing and well recorded.

Must admit that I prefer the sound John gets from the Paul Fischer spruce guitar he uses on the Evolucion DVD.

P

DTut

Post by DTut » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Yes, the website is great but it's kind of expensive because you can only buy it from England which affects some of us. Simon Cartwright says they're seeking a U.S. dealer. I'll probably just buy it now--can't wait. DT
1980 Ramirez 1a
2015 Robert England-Spruce; for sale.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Great, another one for my wish list! I saw John Mills only once in concert, and he blew me away: such richness of tone colours! What an great artist!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

David

Post by David » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:38 am

John Mills was the first classical guitarist I saw in a CG only concert. I'd seen JW playing with Sky.

Not long after I started learning Mills came to Melbourne and my teacher arranged for a group of his students to go and see him. That was in the early 80s.
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

John D

Post by John D » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:09 pm

I was at college with David and Simon and both are fine guitarists in their own right. Simon was/is a professional comedian too!! John Mills was my examiner for my final recital which was a rather intimidating experience! A public recital, recorded, no music allowed, 40 odd minutes with JM sitting right infront! Scared the wotsits out of me but I managed to pull it off.

Mick the Ramirez Man

Post by Mick the Ramirez Man » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:44 pm

John,

I play for audiences of hundreds of people and for other Classical Guitarists, but I've never played for a virtuoso. I think I'd be all thumbs ... :?
Ramirez 4NE, Ramirez R4 and Ramirez R1

TallTomSW

Post by TallTomSW » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi David

Thanks for your kind words about our CD. I will pass your comments on to John and David who will be delighted I'm sure. We are indeed working on a US distributor option - so hopefully available soon. You can find it on iTunes, but many people are saying they want the booklet etc.

Best wishes

Simon Cartwright and Tirando Ltd

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Hello Simon, welcome to Delcamp forum. I have ordered The Ramirez Years today. Looking forward to it!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

TallTomSW

Post by TallTomSW » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:40 pm

Hello Erik

Thank you for your welcome. I hope you enjoy the CD. It is important to note that John is not an impressionist and in that sense does not copy Segovia. However, he like a few others; Christopher Parkening and Oscar Ghiglia, have an admiration and influence embedded in their art. Bring back the tone colour!

Kind wishes

Simon

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:15 pm

I couldn't agree more. Have you noticed that the appreciation of Segovia's approach to music is shifting? He was condemned by some for romanticizing Bach, yet young students at conservatoires are beginning to re-appreciate Segovia: bring back the tone colours! John Mills has been consistant over the years: no guitarist at the moment has a greater palette of tone colours than John Mills (of course, he was fortunate to have a great teacher).

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:11 am

Erik Zurcher wrote:... no guitarist at the moment has a greater palette of tone colours than John Mills (of course, he was fortunate to have a great teacher).
Three great teachers, in fact: Segovia, Bream, and Williams (it doesn't get any better than that!).

TallTomSW

Post by TallTomSW » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:32 am

For those interested, on Thursday 19th September from 4.30pm GMT, John Mills is going to be playing live and talking about the new album on a BBC Radio 3 programme called In Tune. There is a listen again option or you can listen live on line. The link is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tp0c

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”