John Mills double CD " -Segovia: The Ramirez Years" -

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
Lovemyguitar

Re: John Mills double CD " -Segovia: The Ramirez Years" -

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:05 pm

TallTomSW wrote:For those interested, on Thursday 19th September from 4.30pm GMT, John Mills is going to be playing live and talking about the new album on a BBC Radio 3 programme called In Tune. There is a listen again option or you can listen live on line. The link is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tp0c
Sounds very interesting, indeed. Thanks for the information!

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:03 pm

Just received John Mills's double CD today and enjoying it. John's playing and the recording quality are superb. A must have for every guitarist. Wow!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

TallTomSW

Post by TallTomSW » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:39 pm

Glad it has arrived and you are enjoying it. We think it's the best recorded sound John has ever made....

Erik Zurcher

John Mills 2CD: Segovia, the Ramirez years

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:20 pm

John Mills (once student of Segovia) published a double CD recently called: Segovia, the Ramirez years. John Mills plays pieces that Segovia recorded earlier: Tansman, Haug, Moreno-Torroba, Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Duarte, Rodrigo, Ponce, Purcell, Rameau, Bach, Gluck, Haydn, Chopin, Schumann, Mendelsohn, Brahms, Grieg, Debussy, Llobet, Scriabin, Albeniz and others.

They are not Segovia copies. John Mills plays them in his own way. The Ramirez guitar that John Mills plays in the recording was especially made for this occasion. Highly recommended!*****

Search youtube: John Mills, the Segovia years.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Jacek A. Rochacki

Re: John Mills 2CD: Segovia, the Ramirez years

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Dear Erik, thank you so much for this info. It is really great ! :bravo:
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

DTut

Post by DTut » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:00 am

Agreed! Excellent and includes a nice booklet.

bushweek

Post by bushweek » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:18 pm

Can someone please advise the bwv number for Bach's Siciliana (track 7 on cd 2)? I would love to track down the sheet music. Simply wonderful music.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:26 pm

@bushweek: J. S. Bach, Siciliano BWV 1001

bushweek

Post by bushweek » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:44 am

Many thanks, Erik!

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:19 am

I just got this on ITunes. I love it so far. I have only had the opportunity to listen to it once so far. Unfortunately, no booklet on iTunes. But, I would have had to import it to Canada and after doing the math would have been twice the price. I love the Ramirez sound. I highly recommend this collection. John Mills is an amazing player and brings the songs to life. Not exactly like Segovia, but with just as much passion. I think the album is a good reminder of what Segovia did for the guitar. It's not too much of a copy of Segovia that you might as well just listen to Segovia, but just enough to think back to that golden era of the guitar.

I feel left out that I got it on iTunes. But, what can you do? It makes life easier for me getting it in there.
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Philosopherguy wrote: John Mills is an amazing player and brings the songs to life. Not exactly like Segovia, but with just as much passion. I think the album is a good reminder of what Segovia did for the guitar. It's not too much of a copy of Segovia that you might as well just listen to Segovia, but just enough to think back to that golden era of the guitar.
John Mills has said something exactly to this effect (in the booklet!), that he was not attempting to mimic Segovia's style, but rather he wanted to capture the type of playing and sound of that era. And, as you say, he does it quite successfully!

Nige

Post by Nige » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:48 pm

This is a fantastic recording, I hope Mr Mills produces more. I do enjoy the work of Ponce, Mr Mills makes a fine job of the Sonata Mexicana here and the John Duarte English Suite is delightful. I`ve had the pleasure of attending a few recitals by Mr Mills, including `The Ramirez Years` at Leeds College of Music last year. I even had the privilege of chatting to Mr Mills about his recital and his specially made guitar. Very nice chap!!

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am

Note: I have merged two threads on the same topic for ease of future reference (and removed two posts drawing attention to the original thread).
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Bill H

Post by Bill H » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:28 pm

Thank you very much! I just finished listening to the 2nd CD (the first CD doesn’t display the titles, so I’ll have to look them up in the booklet that came with the CDs). His tone from the 664mm Ramirez guitar is memorizing. Track 19 on the second CD is La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin, which I love. I never tire of hearing my wife and a pianist friend play it (it’s on his Debussy CD).

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Looks like a very interesting CD and one I'd like to hear. But does it really cost almost $22 to mail a CD to Canada?

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”