Il labirinto della chitarra, Pierre Pitzl

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
Aurore

Il labirinto della chitarra, Pierre Pitzl

Post by Aurore » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:55 pm

I'm finally tackling a project I've had for a long time, which is to make back-up copies of all my music and a list as well.

Tedious? Perhaps, but it has paid off in the past; I had a CD of V-L recording that bubbled and stopped playing, strangest thing but fortunately I had a back-up. Anyhow, while going through my small collection I have re-discovered a few gems and I thought I'd share this one in particular as I'm listening to them play.

Under the direction of Pierre Pitzl, and with the ensemble Private Musicke they play guitar music from the 17th century Italy.

The liner notes provided are most excellent. Without being overly academic, they do provide a well painted backdrop of the guitar and musical context from the end of the 16th century to the 17th. The notes give interesting background on the composers, Corbetta, Foscarini, Sanz, Calvi, Pellegrini, Granata, Valdambrini and Matteis, and highlight their particular influence and contributions. Yes, I must admit several of those I do not know, and I have but a cursory knowledge of the period. Yet, I as I hear, I am convinced it is most well played music. For myself, it is a chance to expand by a small measure my knowledge of music. But one does not have to have in depth understanding of music or of the period to enjoy this disc, it is a very approachable and enjoyable listen on its own. Those were after all mostly based on dances.

The variety of the compositions is quite appealing and I'll quote the liner notes "The music world of the 17th century is full of individualists, but nowhere does one find so many extreme, even crazy, individuals as among the guitarists."

They play on guitars, theorbo, violoncello, percussion, and colascione. The instruments are after 17th century instruments, by luthiers, Karl Kirchmeyer, Eric Pierre Hofmann, and Martin Bowers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gilmar

Re: Il labirinto della chitarra, Pierre Pitzl

Post by gilmar » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:00 pm

thanks for sharing

ralphed

Re: Il labirinto della chitarra, Pierre Pitzl

Post by ralphed » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:24 pm

Thanks for sharing, just bought it off the cloud.

ralphed

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”