Anton Baranov

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
GuitarX

Anton Baranov

Postby GuitarX » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:45 am

Another new and superb Naxos guitar recording. Baranov has it all: incredible technique, beautiful tone, and all-around wonderful musicianship, not to mention a program that avoids well-worn war horses. His Masaki Sakurai guitar sounds fantastic.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Re: Anton Baranov

Postby Scot Tremblay » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:00 am

Wow, nice program. Haven't seen Santorsola around much the last few years (decades) and that's one of my favorite of his Sonatas.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Kjetil Heggelund

Postby Kjetil Heggelund » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:25 am

Just "discovered" him yesterday on youtube playing Legnani caprices and Santorsola. Fantastic!
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

wilhelmreich

Postby wilhelmreich » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:49 am

Yes, program ist not bad. Lauro's sonata would fit in it, even if written in the 50s.

GuitarX

Postby GuitarX » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:25 pm

wilhelmreich wrote:Yes, program ist not bad. Lauro's sonata would fit in it, even if written in the 50s.

Yeah, most of these pieces are more recent, but the disc would easily hold another 20 minutes.

barnux

Postby barnux » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:41 am

I saw Anton Baranov play tonight. He was quite excellent - and more importantly - he played a very diverse program. It was quite refreshing to not recognize one piece he played - although many members of this board probably would have.

I don't think he will win many Mr. Congeniality awards - he seemed quite austere in person after the show. Polite - but nary a smile. I think he might have been annoyed with the general rudeness of the audience - I know I was. A lot of late-comers, lots of coughing, shuffling of pages. Who knows.

He played Variations on a theme of Sor by Llobet. I can't believe I had never heard that. Amazing. Llobet must have been an amazing guitarist himself.

GuitarX

Postby GuitarX » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:35 am

His stage persona is definitely austere, but I chatted with him a bit after a GFA concert this summer (and played ping pong next to him!), and he was reasonably friendly. His English is a little limited, but he can clearly communicate.

Polifemo de Oro

Postby Polifemo de Oro » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Thanks for the tip, X. He plays some really good music on this CD.

barnux

Postby barnux » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:55 am

He didn't come off as a jerk or stand-offish. He just seems to me like a guy who is really serious about the guitar. I wish I could play ping pong against him - I think it might be the only area where I might be able to even approach his talent.

He accepted my Facebook friend request so he can't be all that bad ;-)

10ae1203

Postby 10ae1203 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:32 pm

I saw him yesterday in Baltimore after missing a chance Thursday in Wilmington.

Go see him. Outstanding.

During the Llobet/Sor folia variations I wanted to scream like one of those girls at a Beatle concert.

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”