Antonis Hatzinikolaou

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
GuitarX

Antonis Hatzinikolaou

Post by GuitarX » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:42 pm

Here's another technically formidable and highly musical young guitarist (born 1980). His program consists of semi-thorny British works, that in the case of Maw and Northcott for sure, test the limits of playability. Hatzinikolaou, however, never sounds strained nor loses his beautiful tone. Excellent sound.

Tom Poore

Re: Antonis Hatzinikolaou

Post by Tom Poore » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:53 pm

I have this recording and agree that Antonis Hatzinikolaou is excellent. Indeed, this recording convinced us to look into him more closely. We liked what we found, and thus he’s been booked to play in the May 2015 Cleveland International Classical Guitar Festival. So those of us in this neck of the woods will be able to hear him in recital. I’m looking forward to it.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

GuitarX

Post by GuitarX » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:01 am

I imagine that they don't hand out the Julian Bream prize to just anyone! :D Your audience sounds as if they are in for a treat.

Carey

Post by Carey » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:58 am

I'm a bit late to the party here, but I wanted to add that I also think this is an outstanding CD. To play music this difficult
with the feeling of inevitability that Mr. Hatzinikolaou brings to it is just remarkable, with the Northcott Fantasia being a highlight.

I can also highly recommend his earlier 'Debut' CD, which has some of the best Bach (C Major Violin Sonata) I've heard, untangling the Fugue in a way that is rare, up there with Jonathan Leathwood.

-CW

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:48 am

Better late than never.

At the time I first posted on this thread, I had not yet heard Hatzinikolaou live. Now that I have, I can confirm that he’s every bit as good live as he sounds on his recordings. Further, he was a delight to work with. Very nice and down to earth—not at all a prima donna.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Carey

Post by Carey » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:52 am

That's very good to hear. I will be listening to 'Music of Memory' again tonight, I think, and hope to hear him live sometime.

-CW

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:36 pm

Check out his YouTube videos of Piazzolla's Cinco Piezas...beautiful performances. And I heartily second Tom's comment that he is a genuinely nice guy!
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

Carey

Post by Carey » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:30 am

I will do that, and thanks for the tip!

-CW

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”