Ricardo Cobo, Walking on the Water

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
David Belcher

Ricardo Cobo, Walking on the Water

Postby David Belcher » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:08 am

When I lived near Chicago I took lessons from a prominent guitarist in the Chicago area. He was always kind of enough to make cassette tapes for me of all sorts of classical guitar recordings—I used to have all of Segovia's records and most of Bream's from this kind donation! One of my favorite records he dubbed for me, though, was Ricardo Cobo's then cutting-edge CD, "Walking on the Water." I absolutely loved that tape. That was the first time I heard both Máximo Diego Pujol and Eduardo Sainz de la Maza.

Only a few years ago, however, my wife was in a car crash and the vehicle was totaled—some things in the car were irretrievable and, you guessed it, that Cobo tape was among them. Ever since I have been searching for another copy to no avail. Does anyone know where I might find a copy of this apparently long-discontinued album or happen to have a copy? (If the latter, please PM me!) I would so appreciate it! Some of Cobo's best work in my opinion.

On a side note, can you guess what CD was also lost to that same car crash? Cobo's other fantastic album "Tales of the Guitar"! Head–table. So yeah I'm still looking for *that* one too!
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

Cipher

Re: Ricardo Cobo, Walking on the Water

Postby Cipher » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:40 am

Yes that's a great one - I had it about 12 years ago but haven't been able to find it since in my piles of CD's. I especially like his interpretation of Sainz de la Maza's Homage to Toulouse-Luatrec and the MD Pujol Melancolia. Anyway if you go to A M AZ O N now they have it in good condition for as little as $6.00 - I may just buy it again because it is a great recording. Another great one by Cobo is Guitar Lullaby which is one of the most beautifully recorded classical guitar CDs of all time IMO.

David Belcher

Re: Ricardo Cobo, Walking on the Water

Postby David Belcher » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:10 pm

Thanks, cipher, I'll check that out! I still have Guitar Lullabies, the only Cobo that survived the car crash! :D
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”