Don't miss Naxos

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Don't miss Naxos

Postby ChristianSchwengeler » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:05 am

Hi once more,

I find it very interesting that Naxos does continue to publish plenty of new guitar recordings all the time. For those who don't know Naxos: It is a high quality music editor which sells at spectacular prices, about 6 euros each CD, which makes it really affordable and it is also no problem if you buy something which you don't like so much in the end. I have bought over the years pretty the whole collection and you find always something to listen again. It is a good guide for guitar repertory - you can see what everybody wants to play and record and also get aware of new unknown stuff. I think Naxos is a real must for people like us and as we continue to buy they publish more and more stuff which also helps to promote our instrument to the general public which is a really important thing. Sometimes I have offered a Naxos guitar CD to friends as a birthday present and normally they are really happy about it.

Recently Naxos has edited a new CD with EVA Fampas playing Greek guitar musique - must say very refreshing and beautiful and I really recommend it to all of you
8.573322.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kent

Re: Don't miss Naxos

Postby Kent » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:57 pm

Naxos is good stuff.
My favorite all time CD is Antigoni Goni's recording of John Duarte's music. #8.554554
Fairest prices around for an impressive library of music.

Pje53

Postby Pje53 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:13 pm

I also have quite a good collection of Naxos cd's ranging from classical guitar to orchestral. They are very good quality and good value.

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:01 pm

Naxos is great, and indeed, they are instrumental (sorry, couldn't resist) in publishing recordings of new guitar music. One of my current favourites is Vol. 1 of 21st Century Spanish guitar music, played by Adam Levin (Vol. 2 is forthcoming).

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:17 pm

Yea and if you create a free account on their site...you can listen to 25% of all of their albums ;) an upgraded account will get you full access, but the 25% suits my a.d.d. brain haha.
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Postby ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:53 am

tateharmann wrote:Yea and if you create a free account on their site...you can listen to 25% of all of their albums ;) an upgraded account will get you full access, but the 25% suits my a.d.d. brain haha.

I still prefer to have a real CD in my hands. It is funny what you can get for free is often not so atractive. A friend offered me a CD with PDF's of pretty the entire worlds guitar score collection - but I rarly use it - I would have to decide first what to choose, and then the offer is so big that I end up jumping from one score to the other and don't decide for any of them in the end.

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:12 pm

ChristianSchwengeler wrote: I would have to decide first what to choose, and then the offer is so big that I end up jumping from one score to the other and don't decide for any of them in the end.

That's what happens to me every single time I sit down to play hahaha...

There's wisdom in your words :)
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

Alain Cloutier

Postby Alain Cloutier » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:23 pm

I know it's not guitar but don't forget Robert Barto on Naxos. Eleven cds of fantastic S.L. Weiss' interpretation!

Dirck Nagy

Postby Dirck Nagy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:04 pm

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:...Naxos is a real must for people like us...

I agree.

I love Naxos! Their recordings are generally high quality, and are getting better (and I'm not just referring to their guitar selection). Some of them are superlative. I can't say enough how much i appreciate their business model: the breadth of their catalog, so many composers, so many complete works, etc…

I enjoy browsing through their catalog; i find so much interesting stuff that I hadnt considered before.

I'm fortunate that one of the universities I work at subscribes to their online library; i can listen to anything i want there, anything from Haydn's complete piano sonatas to Rautaavara's "concerto for birds and orchestra"! If i like it enough, I buy the CD.

Cheers…to your continued health, Naxos!

dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

larryguitar

Postby larryguitar » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:20 pm

Yes, Naxos puts out great music. I'm sure there isn't a huge market for the CDs so we should be thankful that somebody does it.

mrb

Postby mrb » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:40 pm

+1
The CD of Ponce's 'pseudo-baroque' works - I think it's Ponce Vol. 2 in the Naxos catalogue - by Adam Holzman is outstanding. Would be in my top 10 classical guitar CDs.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Postby ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:22 pm

One of my absolute favorites is from the Laureat Series 8.554831, Lorenzo Micheli with his recordings of Castelnuovo Tedesco. He has this full, mysterious and dark sound and his interpretation is great. I would differently say he is one of the truly great guitarists of modern times.

R128

Postby R128 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:47 am

Yes, definitely thumbs up for Naxos - I doubt very much any other label would have published so many CDs of Sor's compositions including Op. 60 (Progressive Studies) - a personal favourite as I'm trying to master all of these pieces.

Joe

Dirck Nagy

Postby Dirck Nagy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:22 pm

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:One of my absolute favorites is from the Laureat Series 8.554831, Lorenzo Micheli with his recordings of Castelnuovo Tedesco. He has this full, mysterious and dark sound and his interpretation is great. I would differently say he is one of the truly great guitarists of modern times.

100% agree!

His recording with Matteo Mela of Antoine de Lhoyer's Duos Concertants (on naxos 8.570146) is excellent.

Lorenzo is a fantastic performer and a really nice guy as well.

cheers!
dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Postby ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Thank you all for your replies. Just listened to this today again : Junhong Kuang - Laureate Series Guitar
don't miss it
Junhong Kuang - Laureate Series Guitar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”