Don't miss Naxos

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Re: Don't miss Naxos

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:07 pm

There are a few CD's which you should not miss:
prospero dreaming.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:42 am

You shouldn't miss this one either:
escobar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Malcolm Kavalsky

Post by Malcolm Kavalsky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:22 am

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:Thank you all for your replies. Just listened to this today again : Junhong Kuang - Laureate Series Guitar
don't miss it
Junhong Kuang - Laureate Series Guitar.jpg
Thanks for the recommendation, what an amazing album!
Every piece a jewel polished to perfection with exceptional and beautiful interpretations.
I have it on endless loop since I bought it 3 days ago.
No pain, no pain.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:05 am

I am glad you like it. Considering that he was about 15 when recording this CD his interpretation is very mature indeed.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:32 am

If you are looking for a very nice gift, even for ignorant of CG music, I would recommend you this one. I guarantee that the person will highly estimate your present and be amazed about this wonderful unknown world of classical guitar music. I find it always an important point to present our art to ordinary people and show that there are still things out there which are worth living for and not everything is banal.
moeller.jpg

Frousse

Post by Frousse » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:43 am

Excellent quality at unbeatable prices. I have been a fan since their inception.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:44 pm

Kent wrote:Naxos is good stuff.
My favorite all time CD is Antigoni Goni's recording of John Duarte's music. #8.554554
Fairest prices around for an impressive library of music.
Just listened to it...that one IS good!

cheers and thanks for the recommendation
Dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

FauxFox

Post by FauxFox » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:24 am

Found this thread the other day and only had to spend about 15 minutes browsing the Naxos Guitar Collection alone before I was reaching for my wallet and signing up for a subscription to be able to play the tracks. It's not a streaming service but for less than a couple of dollars a month I wouldn't really expect it to be - it is, however, a massively valuable resource and a chance to gain exposure to music you might otherwise struggle to get to hear.

As an earlier poster said, there is a free subscription option that allows you to listen to 25% of each track. Either way, if you're not already familiar with the label it's certainly worth a look.

thatGingerMojo

Post by thatGingerMojo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:50 pm

I love the price tag associated with Naxos. Go into a record store and I can buy a Naxos CD for $8 Canadian, or another labels CD with the same work for $35. Good quality CD's.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:31 pm

I'm thinking about signing up for the Naxos subscription. It appears to be $19.95 a year, a good deal, I think. How do I listen? Do I stream from a web browser or from an iPhone app?

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:14 am

Ok, I took the plunge and can stream music from the website but am having trouble logging into the iPhone app. Perhaps the user name is not updated in whatever database table is used to log into the iPhone app. The username and password is the same as for the website, isn't it? I used my email address to log into the website.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:04 am

I think the answer is that you have to be a separate subscription for about $200-300 a year in order to create playlists which can be streamed from the iPhone. Is that what others think?

FauxFox

Post by FauxFox » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:25 pm

My understanding is that _is_ the case, larry. As I said in my post above, at less than a couple of dollars a month, expecting a fully streaming service would be a bit optimistic. Also, because the site's embedded player is Flash based it won't work on out-of-the-box IOS or Android devices although it's possible to sideload browsers that can support Flash on these, Google will tell you how. I haven't personally tried this so I can't vouch for how successful it is.

All that said, I still consider the subscription excellent value. I'm particularly enjoying being able to call up composers' biographies and follow the links to items in the Naxos catalogue to listen to them. I've already found several gems that I was totally ignorant of. It's like a marvelous musical candy store :D

FauxFox

Post by FauxFox » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:08 pm

As an update to my last post, I tried the Photon browser, a paid for app from the App Store, and was able to play the tracks just like in a regular desktop browser. It's a little sluggish on my iPad 3 and can be unresponsive but it works - whether you'd want to bother given that you can't leave it playing in the background unlike the PC or Mac browsers is a different matter. As I recall Android's flash enabled alternatives work a little better, but like the iPad, you have to keep the player window up.

On a different note, I have to add my vote for the OP's original post - the Greek Guitar Music album (Catalogue No: 8.573322) is indeed very lovely and refreshingly different! Well worth a listen or several.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:37 pm

FauxFox wrote: On a different note, I have to add my vote for the OP's original post - the Greek Guitar Music album (Catalogue No: 8.573322) is indeed very lovely and refreshingly different! Well worth a listen or several.
I am glad you liked it! Yes it is really something different. The Laureat series have a lot of repeated repertory, basically the competition stuff, but even like that there are some real gems from the Laureat Series like the one from Fabio Zanon or also especially this one, with very diferent repertory
jason vieaux.jpg

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”