Don't miss Naxos

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
larryguitar

Re: Don't miss Naxos

Post by larryguitar » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:10 am

FauxFox wrote:My understanding is that _is_ the case, larry. As I said in my post above, at less than a couple of dollars a month, expecting a fully streaming service would be a bit optimistic. Also, because the site's embedded player is Flash based it won't work on out-of-the-box IOS or Android devices although it's possible to sideload browsers that can support Flash on these, Google will tell you how. I haven't personally tried this so I can't vouch for how successful it is.

All that said, I still consider the subscription excellent value. I'm particularly enjoying being able to call up composers' biographies and follow the links to items in the Naxos catalogue to listen to them. I've already found several gems that I was totally ignorant of. It's like a marvelous musical candy store :D
Well, I took the plunge for the subscription and have to say that it is an amazing resource! I'm looking forward to many pleasant hours listening to the music.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:42 pm

I also love naxos. Incredible diversity and great musicians. I just discovered Joaquin Turinas piano music. 10 volumes... I especially like their contemporary stuff. For me a never ending source :-)
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:01 pm

Kjetil Heggelund wrote:I also love naxos. Incredible diversity and great musicians. I just discovered Joaquin Turinas piano music. 10 volumes... I especially like their contemporary stuff. For me a never ending source :-)
I think they have some fantastic pianists in their "stable".

Jenö Jandó's recordings of Liszt are first-rate, especially the Transcendental Etudes and the Aneés de Pelerinage. His Haydn Sonatas are good too.

Guillermo González's recording of Albéniz's Iberia & Suite Espagnola (on piano) is very good too. Different from Esteban Sanchez, but i like it.

Jordi Masó and Idil Biret are great, too.
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

FauxFox

Post by FauxFox » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:35 pm

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:
I am glad you liked it! Yes it is really something different. The Laureat series have a lot of repeated repertory, basically the competition stuff, but even like that there are some real gems from the Laureat Series like the one from Fabio Zanon or also especially this one, with very diferent repertory
jason vieaux.jpg
Thank you for you recommendations, Christian, I'm particularly enjoying the Jason Vieaux tracks :D

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:49 pm

I am a kind of old fashioned guy and it took a long time until I switched from vinyl to CDs. But now I am ready to give new technologies a try. I just bought a bluetooth adapter and will subscribe to spotify. All these CDs stored in the living room are a mess, honestly. With a streaming service and a blutooth adapter based on latest technology, I can listen to almost all guitar music ever recorded without sacrifcing sound quality.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Aurore

Post by Aurore » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:57 pm

on YT ... the naxosvideo channel now has guitar videos, ex. Emanuele Buono Guitar Recital with several videos that are very well done
I'm told more to come
Love Naxos labels

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:29 am

I like this one a lot. I had masterclasses with Michaelis several times and was also able to show him my instruments which he liked a lot. Pretty unusal repertory, you have to listen to it several times to get familiar with it. The Joaquin Clerck tracks are unique I think and there is no other recording of it as far as I know.
8.570191.gif

Guitar Recital: Michalis Kontaxakis

Michalis Kontaxakis, First Prize Winner in the 2005 International Francisco Tárrega Guitar Competition, is considered today to be one of the leading young Greek guitarists. He studied the guitar with Vassilis Mastorakis and Costas Cotsiolis, and at the Robert Schumann Musikhochschule in Düsseldorf. In this recital, featuring a guitar made by Alkis, Athens, he performs the world première recording of Preludios de Primavera (Preludes of Spring) by Joaquín Clerch, and Tárrega’s enchanting Fantasy on themes from La Traviata.

Ponce, Manuel Maria
[Show Details] Guitar Sonata III
1. I. Allegro Moderato 00:07:00
2. II. Chanson: Andantino molto espressivo 00:03:11
3. III. Allegro non troppo 00:05:34

Clerch, Joaquin
[Show Details] Preludios de Primavera (Preludes of Spring)
4. I. Primavera 00:03:37
5. II. Las olas de Moncofa 00:00:32
6. III. Homenaje a Tchaikovsky 00:01:33
7. IV. El Adios 00:02:44
8. V. Y si pienso en la Habana... 00:01:10
9. VI. Souvenir de Granada 00:02:00
10. VII. Cuando tu no estas 00:02:07

Martin, Frank
[Show Details] 4 Pieces breves (4 Short Pieces)
11. I. Prelude 00:02:42
12. II. Air 00:01:42
13. III. Plainte 00:02:47
14. IV. Comme une gigue 00:02:17

Krenek, Ernst
[Show Details] Suite, Op. 164
15. I. Allegro moderato 00:00:56
16. II. Andante sostenuto 00:01:35
17. III. Allegretto 00:00:43
18. IV. Larghetto 00:01:40
19. V. Allegro 00:01:11

Tarrega, Francisco
[Show Details] Fantasia on Themes from Verdi's La traviata
20. Fantasia on Themes from Verdi's La traviata 00:07:11
[Show Details] Marieta!: Mazurka
21. Marieta!: Mazurka 00:02:34
[Show Details] Maria: Gavota
22. Maria: Gavota 00:01:27

Khachaturian, Aram Il'yich
[Show Details] Prelude
23. Prelude 00:01:47
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:39 pm

Did my homework buying more CDs. Really want to recommend you this one:

Composer(s):
Garcia, Gerald

Artist(s):
Holmquist, John

Label: Naxos

Series: Guitar Collection

Genre: Instrumental

Period: 20th Century

Catalogue No: 8.553419

Barcode: 0730099441926

Physical Release: 04/1997

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:12 am

This is really a master piece of modern guitar music, which shows very well what one can do with our instrument - if one is able to do so of course...
Gerald Garcia.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:03 pm

Alain Cloutier wrote:I know it's not guitar but don't forget Robert Barto on Naxos. Eleven cds of fantastic S.L. Weiss' interpretation!
+1 :)
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:37 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:With a streaming service and a blutooth adapter based on latest technology, I can listen to almost all guitar music ever recorded without sacrifcing sound quality.
That's not strictly true. Perceptibly, perhaps. Even CD's (which are themselves a compromise, quality-wise) have at least 4 times higher bitrate (1411.2 Kbps) than any current Bluetooth audio codec will allow.

But I digress. Yes, Naxos do produce some excellent recordings. I have the Ana Vidovic one she did when she was 19 and it's beautifully played and recorded. I shall have to buy some of the recommendations on here too!
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:10 am

Just out of the mailbox: Villa-Lobos 3 CD's of "The Guitar Manuscripts" with guitarist Andrea Bissoli. Listening to the Concerto now and I'm glad I got them :-) Also got orchestral music by Salvador Brotons with no guitar at all.
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

thienng

Post by thienng » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:47 am

I've just bought Junhong Kuang - Laureate Series Guitar CD.
what a virtuosic child and lots of practise too.

Sina

Post by Sina » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:35 pm

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:One of my absolute favorites is from the Laureat Series 8.554831, Lorenzo Micheli with his recordings of Castelnuovo Tedesco. He has this full, mysterious and dark sound and his interpretation is great. I would differently say he is one of the truly great guitarists of modern times.
I'm so glad to read this (and to have stumbled upon this thread!) I've had my eye on this recording for a while now because I love the repertoire. Going to pick it up! I hadn't heard the artist before but it's nice to see a recommendation.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:43 pm

Last edited by ChristianSchwengeler on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”