Don't miss Naxos

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
RobMacKillop

Re: Don't miss Naxos

Postby RobMacKillop » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:04 pm

I agree that it is a fantastic label, BUT...I have a little experience of the other side. I sent them a home demo of an album I did devoted to the Fantasias and Tientos of the little-recorded vihuelista, Miguel de Fuenllana. They liked it, and offered to make the disc. I was really pleased and excited, right up to the point where they said they would charge me 5,000 UK Pounds for the privilege :oops: They would recoup their losses from my royalties before I saw any money.

Sadly, I declined.

I can see their point. Not many people will buy these recordings, and when they do, the return is minimal. So, the artist must pay for the costs of production. That's OK if you have a sponsor who is willing to pay the up front costs. I was a lone wolf, and a financially poor one at that. Still, I came close! ;-)

BTW you can hear the album for free on my soundcloud site:
https://soundcloud.com/robmackillop/sets/vihuela-fuenllana-fantasias

larryguitar

Postby larryguitar » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:48 pm

Rob,

You should run a Kickstarter to raise the funds to get the CD recorded. I think you might make it if you structure the rewards in an intelligent manner. Times have changed. There are a lot of different avenues for realizing small projects like the one you have described.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Postby ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:44 am

RobMacKillop wrote: I was really pleased and excited, right up to the point where they said they would charge me 5,000 UK Pounds for the privilege :oops:
BTW you can hear the album for free on my soundcloud site:
https://soundcloud.com/robmackillop/sets/vihuela-fuenllana-fantasias

Royalties are anyway so incredibly low that it just doesn’t matter. You should have accepted the offer and your recording would be distributed in over 50 countries which is surely worth 5000 and your CD may be included in this thread. A friend made a self-edition and sells his CD’s while busking – he sold more CD’s than he would sell ever thru shops. There are just too many of everything. Some Luthiers do offer 5000 $ instruments as reward for competition – this is a bad business also but for some it might be the right choice.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Postby ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:48 am

I just bought this one today and it is really worth the money and the time to listen to it:

Amadeus Guitar Duo
Through the Centuries
Komponist: Various
Label: Naxos
Art. Nr.: 8.551323
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pedro Izq

Postby Pedro Izq » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:10 pm

Great that naxos gives us so much guitar offer and unknown repertoire sometimes.In addition, the prices are not expensive. On the other hand, the productions and the quality of perfomance are sometimes not very good.
Pedro
NoiZ guitar duo

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Postby ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:14 am

Pedro Izq wrote:Great that naxos gives us so much guitar offer and unknown repertoire sometimes.In addition, the prices are not expensive. On the other hand, the productions and the quality of perfomance are sometimes not very good.

My point is that Naxos gave the opportunity to a very big number of very young players to have their CD's sold over the entire planet and most of the guitar recordings are from the Laureat series and it is normal that not all of them are very original - but even like that...you have some very serious artists within it. Without talking of the recordings of specific repertoire..20 years ago you would go to a record shop and find: Segovia, Williams, Bream, Barruecos and that was it then basically. Norbert Kraft is an outstanding sound engineer and I can't share your opinion about the quality of production. Norbert Kraft is a very good guitar player himself and I think you should listen to his recording from the Naxos Label - it is really something...Naxos also made guitar musica available and known to a much larger public which is a real achievement for us all.

Norbert Kraft.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pedro Izq

Postby Pedro Izq » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:59 pm

I apologise for my previous post as I english is not my main language and i used it in a wrong way. I agree Norbert is a great sound engineer as he recorded some friends and I like their CDs very much.
Where I said production I meant layout design and optics and I keep that opinion. Regarding performance quality, it is just my personal taste and I keep it for some of them and of course not in general.
You are also very right about the fact that it has been a great oportunity for young talents (conditions that the label offers apart)
Greetings!
Pedro
NoiZ guitar duo

Dirck Nagy

Postby Dirck Nagy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:12 pm

Pedro Izq wrote:...unknown repertoire sometimes...

This is one of the greatest things about NAxos, and i'm not just talking about the guitar, either. Most other labels this size fill their catalogue with a few top stars recycling the same old junk.

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:... Norbert Kraft is an outstanding sound engineer ...

I have to agree. The quality of guitar recordings has been excellent since his involvement. It may not always be my favorite "sound", but the production is very professional, very experienced.

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:...Naxos also made guitar musica available and known to a much larger public which is a real achievement for us all...

100% agree! And again, its not just confined to their guitar output!

(Success hasnt spoiled them yet...witness their comprehensive "naxos music library")

cheers!
dirck
(still a big naxos fan)
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

Hotsoup

Postby Hotsoup » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:27 pm

Wasn't there a Naxos CG mega box set? Has anyone seen those in stock anywhere recently? I'd really like to get my hands on it.

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”