John Williams Box Set

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
Muggins Simoon

John Williams Box Set

Postby Muggins Simoon » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:59 am

Sony Classical is releasing a 59 cd box set of John Williams complete recordings on March 6, 2016. These box sets of complete original recordings are great. I have Bream, Gould, Rubenstein (144 disc set), Horowitz, and Perahia. Sony-RCA are emptying the vaults. Now if we can just get Yamashita and Segovia sets.
2011 Mathieu Trepanier Sitka/Koa
2000 Otto Vowinkel Concert Spruce/Brazilian
1998 Christopher Dean Spruce/Indian
1995 Richard Schneider Sequoia/Brazilian
1979 Dauphin Model 40 (Japan-signed label) Cedar/Indian

HNLim

Re: John Williams Box Set

Postby HNLim » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:06 am

Do keep us updated.
1978 Yamaha GC30A - S/BRW
2012 Esteve Adalid - S/BRW
2014 Sen #5 - S/BRW
2016 HNLim - S/BRW-
1974 S.Yairi 950 S/BRW - converted to10-string-2015
HN Lim 14-string - S/BRW - Very close to completion.
1974 S.Yairi 800 : Retired

Christopher Freitag

Postby Christopher Freitag » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:46 pm

I just confirmed this with a friend who works at Sony. This same friend got me the Bream box set when it came out. I am glad to have a friend at Sony.

I assume they will do it in the same way, duplicating all of the original LP covers...that is what I love about the Bream set. That, and the fact that all of the original programs are intact. A lot has been rereleased on CD, of course, but they often combine bits of different recordings together.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

Frousse

Postby Frousse » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:32 pm

Thanks for the news.

Peter Lovett

Postby Peter Lovett » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:38 am

Thank you for the information. I have the Bream set and have looked at getting the Lagoya/Presti CDs' (not a boxed set I know but a 3 x CD collection of their recordings) and would love to have a William's set as well. I am presuming though it wouldn't contain his latest releases as they are on his own label.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

Muggins Simoon

Postby Muggins Simoon » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:51 pm

Christopher Freitag wrote:I just confirmed this with a friend who works at Sony. This same friend got me the Bream box set when it came out. I am glad to have a friend at Sony.

Please ask your friend if she can get them to produce a Yamashita set. They own his recordings and there could be about 80 discs
2011 Mathieu Trepanier Sitka/Koa
2000 Otto Vowinkel Concert Spruce/Brazilian
1998 Christopher Dean Spruce/Indian
1995 Richard Schneider Sequoia/Brazilian
1979 Dauphin Model 40 (Japan-signed label) Cedar/Indian

larryguitar

Postby larryguitar » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:27 pm

It appears that you can preorder this from Amazon's UK site, and they will ship it to the US. So far, I have not found it on Amazon's US site, I guess they haven't put it up there yet.

Tom Poore

Postby Tom Poore » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:18 pm

It’s also available on Amazon.ca. But there seems to be some confusion on the release date. Amazon.uk says it’ll be released on March 4, 2016. Amazon.ca says it’ll be released on November 13, 2015. Not sure who’s correct.

Not everything is included. His recording with Cleo Laine won’t be in the boxed set. (Sony says it doesn’t own the rights.) I also don’t see his 1971 “Changes” in the box set listing.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Ray

Postby Ray » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:03 am

Tom Poore wrote: I also don’t see his 1971 “Changes” in the box set listing.

Changes was released by Cube Records Fly 5, Not CBS/RCA/Sony - that's why it's not included.

http://plum.cream.org/williams/records/017.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_Records

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_Records

http://www.flyrecords.co.uk

There's even more recordings by John Williams not included in this upcoming box set - the full discography list is here

http://plum.cream.org/williams/records.htm

and even this impressive list is a bit behind his latest output which includes an all-solo recording Stepping Stones and Concerto, which has pieces for guitar and orchestra by Stephen Goss, Ross Edwards and Horacio Salinas.

Ray

larryguitar

Postby larryguitar » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:11 am

So, my Canadian preorder was canceled because Amazon said they would not be able to get the item. My UK order still stands. Any idea if the set is going to be on the US site?

Philosopherguy

Postby Philosopherguy » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:49 am

I can't see the Canadian site not getting it eventually, maybe just not right away. It wouldn't make sense for Sony not to distribute that product to Canada. Sony is a big international company. Maybe there was just confusion over the release date so Amazon cancelled all the orders and it will get re-listed later. From the UK site it will be quite pricey! Likely worth it, but still pricey compared to what I payed for the Julian Bream complete set (I think it was $90CAD or around there).
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

larryguitar

Postby larryguitar » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:05 am

Well, it is certainly strange that the whole North American market is being ignored right now. I don't understand Sony's marketing logic. My UK preorder still says early March release.

It is expensive, at 88 pounds, or $131 dollars, but a bargain when you calculate how much music you get for that price.

I found a great deal on a mint copy of the Bream set but I can't always depend on that happening.

Florentin Tise
Teacher

Postby Florentin Tise » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:27 pm

larryguitar wrote:Well, it is certainly strange that the whole North American market is being ignored right now. I don't understand Sony's marketing logic.

They won't invest in something that may not bring decent returns.
A great percentage of music listeners in North America, and not only, get their music today either for free or with paid subscriptions on Spotify, Apple Music, and so on.

I've had some $100 in my iTunes account for more than a month now, and I can't decide how to spend it... because I also have Spotify Premium, and all the recordings I'd buy on iTunes I can access on Spotify at no additional cost.

The Williams set, while being a wonderful collection, is not likely to sell well in physical stores in North America. From a business viewpoint, it is probably not a good investment for a local record store.
"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."
Confucius

Ray

Postby Ray » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:50 pm

Florentin Tise wrote:
larryguitar wrote:Well, it is certainly strange that the whole North American market is being ignored right now. I don't understand Sony's marketing logic.

They won't invest in something that may not bring decent returns.
A great percentage of music listeners in North America, and not only, get their music today either for free or with paid subscriptions on Spotify, Apple Music, and so on.

I've had some $100 in my iTunes account for more than a month now, and I can't decide how to spend it... because I also have Spotify Premium, and all the recordings I'd buy on iTunes I can access on Spotify at no additional cost.

The Williams set, while being a wonderful collection, is not likely to sell well in physical stores in North America. From a business viewpoint, it is probably not a good investment for a local record store.

You're absolutely right - In fact for those like myself who are done buying CD's and can't wait to hear the complete Williams set all 58 recordings are available on Spotify RIGHT NOW! - in fact I'm currently carrying all of them on my iPhone- Here's the playlist of all 58 together - you can break them up individually into the original albums if you wish.

spotify:user:mephisto2013:playlist:7tAIfLEHKLRWut5aqIPyKN

While I have all of these on the original LP and CD's I haven't listened to many of them in a long time and to hear them again is so enjoyable! There are a bunch of not too well known gems in this set including the soundtrack to Patrick Gowers' Stevie which has a very haunting theme played beautifully by Williams. Other highlights include the Britten Songs From The Chinese with tenor Wilfred Brown - of course not as deep and emotionally moving as Bream's recording with Peter Pears but very good in its own right plus Williams plays Britten's notated rhythms more accurately in case you're learning the guitar part and want a good reference recording. Gowers' Chamber Concerto and Rhapsody are also pieces off the beaten path but very interesting harmonically speaking. It's amazing what Williams has accomplished here - literally sometimes two recordings released in a year and all played to a very high standard. There are three versions of the Aranjuez including the classic one with Ormandy but the other two are great as well. I could go on and on about the musical treasures contained in these recordings - this along the Bream Complete set are basically the bible of modern 20th century classical guitar recordings. The meat of the current repertoire we hear in recitals from younger guitarists these days is all contained in here.

Regards, Ray
Last edited by Ray on Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Florentin Tise
Teacher

Postby Florentin Tise » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:54 pm

thanks for sharing the playlist, Ray!
"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."
Confucius

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”