John Williams Box Set

Your reviews and recommendations. To promote your own CDs, use the Members' Announcements section.
larryguitar

Re: John Williams Box Set

Post by larryguitar » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:46 pm

LOL, why bother with physical world? I wonder how much income John Williams gets from Spotify? $100 a year?

Roseanne Cash said the following in front of Congress:

"For example, for an 18 month period, there were nearly 600,000 streams of my songs on a popular subscription site. I was paid $114.00 for those streams."

I know, it's too late, and artists are out of luck. Whatever, I still want the physical set.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:06 am

larryguitar wrote:LOL, why bother with physical world? I wonder how much income John Williams gets from Spotify? $100 a year?

Roseanne Cash said the following in front of Congress:

"For example, for an 18 month period, there were nearly 600,000 streams of my songs on a popular subscription site. I was paid $114.00 for those streams."

I know, it's too late, and artists are out of luck. Whatever, I still want the physical set.
Like you, I will likely also get the physical set. I have spotify premium too, but I mostly use it to find albums I would like to buy, or for streaming at work. I just can't put enough albums on my iPhone to listen to while at work. I never like to delete things in case I want to listen to them later. I have the whole Julian Bream set on my iPhone, the Pepe Romero Master of the Guitar set, along with a number of other sets and compilations.

Nothing like having those physical disks for the excellent sound quality and to enjoy them for life. The problem with Spotify and these services is that at any time they could remove some of these sets from the service and then you would be out of luck, like netflix does with movies from time to time as their licenses run out. It's certainly a good way to sample new artists though.

I still use iTunes to buy things when I am bored and just thinking of something new that spotify doesn't have.

I am excited for the Williams set now! Get it when it first comes out! Before the price goes up! The Julian Bream set went up in price substantially after a few months past its release date.
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:57 pm

So, my box set just showed up today!
Williams.JPG
This order was from the US, I cancelled the UK order, but Amazon wound up sending me two sets so I'm trying to figure out if I paid for it twice, LOL. I'll probably have to return one copy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:13 pm

How are the individual discs packaged? Paper/cardboard sleeves?

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:32 pm

All of the cardboard sleeves have a facsimile of the album printed on them. 1-58, along with a book, and a DVD.
WilliamsInside.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:24 pm

Thanks larryguitar, those look nice! I'm sooooo tempted. I'm just wondering where I'm going to store a box set. My CD cabinet only accommodates jewel cases and small sleeves. More first world problems..

Ray

Post by Ray » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:31 pm

Ok I just saw it on the bay for $108.92 so I bit the bullet and parted with my money lol. I already have pretty much almost every single vinyl LP and CD in the collection so I don't know why I'm getting a duplicate other than having it all in one place. Also the accompanying book will hopefully have some interesting things in it. I'm hoping that CD players don't go the way of the Walkman and the VCR even though obviously they almost have at this point. So I'll probably rip all the CD's to an external SSD in lossless FLAC or even AIFF to have at my fingertips. There you have it.

BTW for those that say Williams plays rather coldly I say listen to the all-Ponce album from this set where JW plays three beautiful songs originally for piano arr. for solo guitar by Roland Harker. Absolutely gorgeous emotional playing, the last song "Yo adoro a mi madre" (I love my mother) Williams will literally make you cry with his really beautiful sensitive playing on that track.

Ray

mrb

Post by mrb » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:11 am

Good discussion/review of the JW boxset yesterday on BBC Radio 3, can be accessed here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0739mtm

Starts at about 1:43:30 into the broadcast.

mrb

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:25 pm

mrb wrote:Good discussion/review of the JW boxset yesterday on BBC Radio 3, can be accessed here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0739mtm

Starts at about 1:43:30 into the broadcast.

mrb
Thanks for this recommendation! It was a delightful program.

bwong

Post by bwong » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:39 am

Hi
I also bought one, it is definitely an asset
Ben

Return to “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs”