Duplicate

Messages that are no longer relevant because their authors or moderators have removed text or attachments.
Forum rules
Messages that are no longer relevant because their authors or moderators have removed text or attachments.
Fretful

Duplicate

Post by Fretful » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Fretful wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:16 pm
SteveL123 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:25 pm
How many proof was that Spanish Rioja and how much did he consume? I wonder if he was sober if he'd have done the same?
Not all that much was consumed, the inebriation came more from an awareness of being dazzling and responding to growing appreciation, but always wanting more ... "As if increase of appetite had grown by what it fed on" ; something which, in youth, is a very forgivable sin ; the interpretation was memorable, carved in spruce one might say. By the way, I do not believe that there was in the perpetrator any awareness of the damage done.
Michael.N. wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:31 pm
No need to remove the bridge (I despair). In fact there's no need to redo the whole top if it's French polish. i think you should go find someone who thinks that removing a bridge to fix a few scratch marks is a form of madness.
In fairness, the luthier has not yet seen the guitar and was reacting to a photograph of the guitar's present state. He did not say he wanted to redo the whole top necessarily, but was concerned with matching the colour if only redoing a patch. In any event, I shall seek several opinions.
OldPotter wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:21 pm
The surrounding area, which was smooth, has all sorts of swirl marks. You now wipe over damaged area to see if it can be smoothed out. The new colour does not match the old.
Yes. What I found, when trying to apply French polish, was that very quickly it became sticky and the muneca would start to halt and cause extreme unevenness, not onbly in the texture of the polish but in the colour as well. It is indeed a skill, all the more so to a complete beginner, and to say Well, just do it is a bit like saying to someone who has just begun playing the guitar Well, just play it. And on that score, I know what I am talking about : it took me many years! But I did no damage, ensuring that is was, at first, away from sensitive ears!
Once again, many thanks to all for your suport and advice.

Fretful

Re: Deep Scratches below the surface of Asturias

Post by Fretful » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:28 pm

see below

Return to “Archives - link maintenance”