7-String Russian Guitar

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
Frederic

7-String Russian Guitar

Postby Frederic » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:33 am

Although this issue has been discussed in the past, it is new to me. I just received an e-mail that discussed the Russian guitar, and it piqued my interest. I understand that Coste' played the 7 string, and also composed for it? If so, are the Coste' pieces on this site adapted for our 6 -string guitar? Finally, does OUR site contain any original sheet music for the 7-String Russian guitar?

SeanWinkler

Re: 7-String Russian Guitar

Postby SeanWinkler » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:56 am

Coste's 7-string was in standard tuning with an added bass, usually tuned to D. The Russian 7-string is tuned to an open G major chord, DGBdgbd' from low to high. Coste's music wasn't composed for the Russian tuning.

Check the Editions Orphee site for more info and some pieces composed for Russian 7-string. Volumes 9-10 of his Russian Collection are in the original tuning. The earlier volumes were arranged for 6-string guitar in standard tuning.

In terms of obtaining original sheet music, there are some in the RiBS collection by Sarenko, Alexeev, and probably others I'm forgetting now. The Boije collection also contains some Sarenko and Sychra. The etudes by the latter are excellent, but I don't know if there is a legal online source.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

SeanWinkler

Re: 7-String Russian Guitar

Postby SeanWinkler » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Also in Boije are several pieces by Morkov (Morkow in Boije).

Oleg Timofeyev has recorded two albums of 19th century Russian 7-string guitar music that are fantastic. Listening to those will give you an idea of the style and what can be done with the unique tuning.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”