Single String "Chanterelle"?

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
augustgarage

Single String "Chanterelle"?

Post by augustgarage » Fri May 06, 2016 5:59 pm

I was recently watching a video of Jack Sanders playing and discussing his baroque guitar modeled on a Stradivarius. One of the comments asked a question I've also wondered about - of the five courses, why is the top course only a single string? I guessed that there were multiple reasons for this (e.g. the historical difficulty of producing identical strings of such a narrow diameter might present tuning difficulties; the melody would more often be played on the top string, so it would sound with greater clarity with only a single string - likewise you could utilize rest-stroke more easily with a single string, which might be used to increase the volume (or accent) the melody line) - but really, this is all speculation on my part.

So - my questions - does anyone have a more definitive answer for why the highest course on a five course baroque guitar is often a single string? Finally, when and why did the highest course become known as the "chanterelle?" Is the same true for lutes and other precursors to the early guitar?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Michael.N.

Re: Single String "Chanterelle"?

Post by Michael.N. » Fri May 06, 2016 7:47 pm

Might also have to do with the fact that the thinner strings breaks very easily, twice the cost if it was doubled! or they just didn't see it as being necessary to have that particular string doubled.
The chanterelle largely carries the melody. I've always thought the word had a common root to the word 'chanson' and 'chant', as in song or melody. That's just a guess on my part though. No idea when it became known as the chanterelle, probably quite early.
Lutes also have this single string. Some baroque lutes have the top two as single strings.
Historicalguitars.

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:54 pm

I read somewhere to tune a lute one method suggested that the top string (chanterelle) be tuned as high as it could stand. You did not want to lose two strings if you tuned too high.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:12 pm

I see a bigger mystery; there always seems to be a tuning peg provided for the string that's never there!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:12 pm
I see a bigger mystery; there always seems to be a tuning peg provided for the string that's never there!
That definitely seems to be the case with vihuelas that have pegs coming up through the board angled from the neck.

Pede

Post by Pede » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:20 pm

It is very interesting. There is much written about where and when the unisono or octave stringing of the 4 and 5 courses. The only thing mentioned about the first course is that it was mostly single. I could never find a written explanation for that fact in the historical literature. Maybe someone else did find more details in the literature.
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”