Master's Student interested in Lute

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
Dylan

Master's Student interested in Lute

Post by Dylan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Hello, I'm a Masters student in Musicology and have lately been really digging Lute repertoire I play on guitar. This is fun and all, but I would like to purchase a lute at some point. Ultimately, I can't shell out a ton of cash, but do lutes exist in the $500 - $800 range that are worth buying? Obviously, these would have to be used.

Thanks, Dylan.

Lovemyguitar

Re: Master's Student interested in Lute

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:31 pm

Dylan wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:42 pm
... do lutes exist in the $500 - $800 range that are worth buying?
No, they don't exist. With regards to used instruments, there aren't many used lutes on the market, and those that are available tend to be custom built and quite expensive (probably around $2500 and up, minimum). There are some brand new entry-level lutes that are in the $1500-2000 range (not custom built), and the better of those might be okay to get you started. Just do an online search for lutes for sale, and you'll find a few of the main options.

You also need to decide what kind of lute you want: Renaissance or Baroque (they are different instruments, and cannot play the same repertoire).

The Lute Society UK has a nice website with information that may be very helpful to you as far as learning some of the basics about lutes and buying a lute.

Best of luck!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:56 pm

You should check in with the Lute Society of America. They have a For Sale page, small ads, and you might find something in your budget, though you'd be lucky. Do a search "Lutes for sale US" and choose the link belonging to cs.dartmouth (I'm not allowed to give you a direct link). You will find a 7c Renaissance lute by Steve Rosalind for $800.

I might also mention my Introduction To The Lute (Mel Bay editions), which is aimed at guitar players. :-)

Dylan

Post by Dylan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:55 pm

Thank you very much! I appreciate it.

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”