" -la dedicasse" -, baroque pieces in renaissance tuning

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
gilles T

" -la dedicasse" -, baroque pieces in renaissance tuning

Post by gilles T » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:14 pm

Hello all,

I'm happy to share the info with you : i've just received today a new anthology published by the spanish "Sociedad de la Vihuela" (google it to find the order form) called "La dedicasse : musica barroca transcrita para laud renacentista". The two authors, David Hernandez and Gabriel Fernandez, transcribed baroque pieces for an 8-course lute but, of course, the music can be played on a 10-course, archlute, or even a guitar with minor adaptations. The table of content is quite generous :
Denis Gaultier : suite in F, Jacques Gallot : suite in F + chaconne in c, Charles Mouton : suite in g, miscellanous pieces by Lully, Marais, de Visée, JS Bach : prelude 995, chaconne 1004, suites 1007 and 1008, Weiss : suite 34, Zamboni : suite n°9 (this one is the only in italian tablature, like the original, all others pieces are in french tab).

It's an incredible body of work, carefully edited on a beautiful paper, which deserves to be widespread among lutenists and multi-strings guitarists.
Strongly recommended!

Cheers,
GT

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: " -la dedicasse" -, baroque pieces in renaissance tuning

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:49 pm

I seem to recall Zamboni composed in the old tuning, not sure whether for more than 6 strings. I reviewed a book of guitar transcriptions and thought they were really good.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:22 pm

Dear Stephen Kenyon,

You are right, Zamboni comoposed about ten exquisite sonatas for archlute, e-g in "vieil ton" because, as you may know, the D-minor tuning of the baroque lute, or "nouvel accord", never came to be used in Italy.
The Zamboni sonatas, published in 1712, are the last works for solo lute published in Italy, as far as we know. Fantastic music, in my opinion, close to some of the best Weiss, with a latin feel. A very good edition for guitar is available — see Ut Orpheus Edizioni.

Regards,
GT

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:56 pm

Yes those points sound right - it was a while ago! Thanks for reminding me of those Gilles.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”