Two questions about Baroque lute tab

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
Adrian Allan

Two questions about Baroque lute tab

Postby Adrian Allan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:41 am

Hello

I am hoping to learn more about Baroque lute tablature, with a view to playing on an 11 string alto tuned to D minor

I understand the letter system for the frets and the strings, eg. a //a etc.

However, I do not know what the squiggles mean for the rhyythms on the example below, despite numerous internet searches

lute tab.png

Also, I know there is a lot of lute tablature to be downloaded on the internet, but is there somewhere where I can buy the sheet music in tab form - A search for Prelude, Fugue and Allegro for lute sheet music leads to hundreds of guitar arrangements, but I actually want the sheet music for lute itself.

Many thanks for your help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Two questions about Baroque lute tab

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:21 am

Am not so sure re baroque practice but I'd understand that to be 4 beats on the k, 2 beats, one beat, dotted quaver/8th, semi quaver/16th. The single quaver mark means keep that timing until it changes. The weirdo is at the end, I guess that's dotted semi then demi-semi.

I just like the old words.

Until recently the PFA BWV 998 was in private hands and they had't released facsimiles. Given that its not really for lute, any tablature you find would necessarily be transcriptive to an extent.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Adrian Allan

Postby Adrian Allan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:33 am

Thanks for your help - that clears up the issue of the time values

In terms of the sheet music, I know that they are transcripts, but what I am after, I suppose, is a nice collection of tablature Baroque lute music in a book (because I'm not too fond of downloading off the internet and printing out/ sticking sheets together) - either Bach or a selction of Baroque music. Preferably a modern print like that above (because reading from the composer's florid manuscript is too much of a challenge for a novice, like me).

Somebody once showed me a modern printed sheet music edition of the PFA arranged for lute tablature, so I know it is possible to buy the music from somewhere.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:36 am

Consulting a lute-specific forum might yield sources. Its the kind of thing players might make for themselves, and be willing to share.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Adrian Allan

Postby Adrian Allan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:01 am

Thanks.

In the meantime, I will print out some things that I have found on the internet, which seem very useful.
I only have 11 strings, so I am restricted in some cases

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:05 am

Tree Editions is the main lute publisher, based in Germany. Excellent editions. I'm not allowed to give you a link, but you should be able to find them, and download the current catalogue.

Another very good publisher is UtOrpheus - search for them too. They have a good lute collection, including an excellent tutor book (it's big!) for the baroque lute, in and English or Italian version) by Miguel Yisrael.

I don't know about the US, but maybe the LSA - Lute Society of America - website will provide the info you require.

Adrian Allan

Postby Adrian Allan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:09 am

RobMacKillop wrote:Tree Editions is the main lute publisher, based in Germany. Excellent editions. I'm not allowed to give you a link, but you should be able to find them, and download the current catalogue.

Another very good publisher is UtOrpheus - search for them too. They have a good lute collection, including an excellent tutor book (it's big!) for the baroque lute, in and English or Italian version) by Miguel Yisrael.

I don't know about the US, but maybe the LSA - Lute Society of America - website will provide the info you require.

Thanks - that's very useful; will look all of this up right now

pogmoor

Postby pogmoor » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:02 am

If you are not a member of the Lute Society (http://www.lutesociety.org) you should join straight away. They publish a lot of lute tablature in their regular magazine Lute News and members can also buy all the back numbers.

Stephen Kenyon wrote:The weirdo is at the end, I guess that's dotted semi then demi-semi.

Yes, that's correct.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:17 am

pogmoor wrote:
Stephen Kenyon wrote:The weirdo is at the end, I guess that's dotted semi then demi-semi.

Yes, that's correct.

Cool.

Btw, its a very odd thing to entabulate - is it an exercise or something?
Louis Panormo (1838)

Emil Krasich

Postby Emil Krasich » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:29 am

Another great site for sheet music/books in regards to baroque lute is Le Luth Dore. I'd also highly recommend Miguel Yisrael's Baroque lute method book. As far as the squiggles on the rhythm markings, those are flags just like any 8th or shorter subdivision note would have. For example, the last measure of the excerpt that you posted is 3 8th notes followed by a dotted 16th and a 32nd.

Adrian Allan

Postby Adrian Allan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:58 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
pogmoor wrote:

Yes, that's correct.

Cool.

Btw, its a very odd thing to entabulate - is it an exercise or something?

I took it from here

https://musescore.org/en/node/76561

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:I took it from here
https://musescore.org/en/node/76561

Aha, samples from a notation software development discussion.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”