Access to a baroque guitar

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
BaroqueYsi

Access to a baroque guitar

Post by BaroqueYsi » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:47 am

Hello all :mrgreen: I am a classical guitar student who is very interested in the baroque guitar. However, ive been having the most difficult time getting access to one in order to try it out and see if I would actually enjoy it both in how it sounds and feels. I read the rental agreement for the LSA and the minimum rental time is a year. I certainly dont need that long to figure out if I would enjoy it or not. The only available teacher from the LSA in my area is not responding to my email or phone message. I live in The city of Westminster in Orange County. Would anyone nearby by any chance be willing to give me a half hour consultation in order to let me try one out and if so what do you charge? If not Would you be able to recomend someone who might be interested in renting one out to me?
Thank you so much for your time :mrgreen:

Michael.N.

Re: Access to a baroque guitar

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:52 am

An hour will tell you nothing, 30 minutes even less than nothing. The only result you will get is not liking it, because you won't have given it a chance. If you are coming from a modern guitar it will take far more than that to become accustomed to the feel of the baroque guitar. The strings are much lower in tension. You also have the doubled strings to contend with, tied frets and likely a longer string length. It all feels quite removed from the modern guitar. Honestly, you probably need a few weeks with one, at the very least.
Historicalguitars.

Claudiosolares

Re: Access to a baroque guitar

Post by Claudiosolares » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:38 pm

A little bit late, but my 5 cents worth is that the early-music environment is much more complex than your normal classical guitar. Frankly the instrument is only a small part of the equation.
You will need to relearn your right-hand technique including the (almost) complete loss of fingernails because you use figueta extranjera on baroque guitar. You will need an adventurous and inquisitive spirit because the music is hard to source , you will need to read from tablature, sometimes facscimiles, decipher the fancy baroque guitar notations and ornaments, figure out string tensions, find gut string sources, (or nylgut) understand meantone temperaments, learn to tie fret guts....
In the end you will have to decide if all these efforts are worth it. So cradling the physical instrument is just the tip of the iceberg.
Rgds,Claudio
1985 Bertrand Martin: Spruce, Rosewood
2013 Feiga Siedler: Vihuela de Mano after E7048: Spruce, Indian Rosewood.
2014 Francisco Navarro: After Rodriguez: Cedar,Cocobolo
2016 Carlos Trujillo: Baroque guitar after Chechucci: Machiche, Spruce, Chicozapote

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”