Lute General Questions

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
RobMacKillop

Re: Lute General Questions

Postby RobMacKillop » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:07 am

I suggest starting with an 11c - much easier to play than 13 courses - that's four extra strings. The most difficult part of baroque lute playing is having the right-hand thumb find the right bass course, and having two extra courses, in most people's experience, makes playing a lot more difficult, spacially.

The French 11c repertoire is wonderful, with much of it quite easy to play. Then there's the German 11c stuff by Reusner, Logy, Kellner, and some pieces by Weiss. All that stuff can really help you get to grips with the instrument before adding four extra strings. Short of building two lutes, you could have a bass rider and a treble rider, but don't add the strings on the bass rider until you feel in control of eleven courses, and then add the 12th and 13th courses. Most students find going straight to 13 courses a bit of a nightmare.

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Ryeman wrote:Michael, yes I have made a few Baroque lutes; ten in fact, mostly based on the 13 course J C Hoffmann -Leipzig 1730- in the Brussels Cons. catalogue no 3188. I have a very useful outline drawing of this, done by Steven Murphy I think, which shows all the string geometry relating to the bass rider etc. All the things that may be putting you off, being more complicated than that found on a typical Renaiisance & or 10 course lute. You can have a copy if I can get it printed, though you probably have all the information you need from van Edwards. What is it specifically that's stopping you making one?

Pip Bickerstaffe is still making longbows as far as I know. I knew him years ago when I lived not far from him. Shot in competitions with him a few times, and I have his book on making longbows. Hope your repair holds up..

Alan

The Van Edwards plan is for the 13 course Hoffmann - if it's the same one that has the relief carving on the back of the pegbox. I can't say I'm a great fan of that style of carving but of course it can be omitted. It's a very detailed plan and he even includes a separate plan for the skeleton mould.
The CD instruction are detailed too. It's only let down a little by the pictures, which were obviously taken on an old digital camera. It's not a big deal. If someone is looking for step by step instructions on bulding a lute I would advise the Van edwards rather than the Lundberg book. Nice to have both though.
Nothing specifically is stopping me, just my attitude. I tend to skip from one project to the next, whatever takes my fancy at the time. Usually it has to be something that generates verve and excitement. Even I never know what that will be. I just have to go with the flow. If I do get around to building it I'll almost certainly use a much shorter string length, perhaps 67 or 68 cm's, which probably puts it in the region of an 11 course. I don't see why it can't be built as a 13 course but strung as an 11 course with the option of adding the other two courses when it suits.
I do like the Dm sound. A bit like drop D tuning on guitar, it seems to give pieces a certain 'different' quality. Warm?. There's probably a much more poetic manner of describing it than I can muster.
Historicalguitars.

Ryeman

Postby Ryeman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Michael,
Plangent could be the word you are after...

I know what you mean about having to be excited about a project. These things take a lot of time and we put a lot into them.

Alan

Ricardo Barros
Amateur luthier

Postby Ricardo Barros » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:47 pm

I have recently finished building a 13 string guitar (pictures here: viewtopic.php?f=131&t=107797#p1145858 ).

I liked so much the sound of it that I decided to go ahead and build a proper baroque lute. I bought the Van Edwards CD /Plans and Mr Lundberg's book, and I am currently finishing the mould. When it's more advanced I intend to create a build thread here and share some pictures.

Wish me luck !
Sergio Abreu 2012 (sp/ir)
Ricardo Barros 2013 (cd/ir)

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:49 pm

Good luck, Ricardo!

Ricardo Barros
Amateur luthier

Postby Ricardo Barros » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Thanks !

By the way, I am going to send you a PM regarding skype lessons, Mr Mackillop. I want to play the instruments I build, and I need help ! :D

:merci:
Sergio Abreu 2012 (sp/ir)
Ricardo Barros 2013 (cd/ir)

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:01 pm

You don't need luck Ricardo, you just need to enjoy it. Over the years I've made a number of different instruments and I think I can safely say that lute making was the most satisfying.
Historicalguitars.

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:07 pm

Cheers, Ricardo. I have quite a few Skype students from many different time zones across the world. Somehow we will find a time. But I highly recommend the "Method for the Baroque Lute by Miguel Serdoura" Ut Orpheus Editions - by far the best tutor for the 11c or 13c.

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”