Baroque guitar (6 string) and Early Romantic guitars

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
powderedtoastman

Re: Baroque guitar (6 string) and Early Romantic guitars

Post by powderedtoastman » Sat May 06, 2017 4:34 am

Also, Jack Sanders in California makes romantic and baroque guitars.. there's a very short documentary on him on Youtube called "The Luthier" and he has demonstrated his own baroque guitar at Guitar Salon, which is uploaded to Vimeo. I just watched this a couple days ago!
https://vimeo.com/171150523

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Sat May 06, 2017 10:44 am

Hello,

As many have said before, it seems to me that it would be a pointless purchase, and a great source of troubles if you eventually want to sell it.
But I understand what may have attracted you with this instrument, because you're at the point I was some 10 years ago, when I wanted to "go baroque" without knowing very well what I really wanted to play and so, I was in search of an "hybrid" or a "one size fits all" instrument. But, believe me, there is no such thing anywhere in the world !

So my advice is to go for a real baroque guitar (which may not be very more expensive than this pricey "fake" baroque) but before, and if you want to get more familiar with double-strings courses, you can just buy a cheap but good 8-strings ukulele (look for Baton Rouge T8) : it will allow you to play all the renaissance guitar repertoire without any modifications. Plus, the lowest course of a baroque guitar being re-entrant, you will be able to play a good deal of the baroque repertoire with minor adaptations (The Roberrt Strizich edition of De Visée in staff notation clearly shows that the actual lowest pitch in all those pieces is a low D). It will cost you less than 160 $ to know if the double-strings are OK for you, to play wonderful music, and to save money for a future, real, baroque guitar replica.

Hope this helps,

Gilles

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Sat May 06, 2017 11:14 am

As it happens, I was in Oxford just last fall, and was able to see the authentic Giorgio Sellas guitar at the Ashmolean. It is really quite extraordinary. 8)
StGeorge, Slayer of Dragons.

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat May 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Perhaps it would be best to take some time getting to know some baroque and early romantic repertoire and also to go and see actual baroque and early romantic guitars. Having somebody to tell the main differences those two and between them and the modern guitar on technical aspects would be important, before ordering a handmade "period guitar". You obviously can't have both periods "authentically" with the same instrument.

Duy Bowyer

Post by Duy Bowyer » Sun May 07, 2017 6:16 am

Many thanks Powderedtoastman. I will look up for Justin White. He happens to live in Sydney as well so this may work out well for me.
Last edited by Duy Bowyer on Sun May 07, 2017 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Duy Bowyer
Jose Maria Vilaplana NT (2017) Spruce.
Cachimba C7 (1985) Cedar.
Takamine GC5 (2011) Spruce.

Duy Bowyer

Post by Duy Bowyer » Sun May 07, 2017 6:41 am

Many thanks Gilles. The more comments I get and the more I read, the more I am drawn to exploring the 5 course baroque guitar. I just need to find someone local (Sydney Australia) from whom I can get first hands experience with the instruments and knowledge.
Regards,
Duy Bowyer
Jose Maria Vilaplana NT (2017) Spruce.
Cachimba C7 (1985) Cedar.
Takamine GC5 (2011) Spruce.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:55 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 6:25 pm
Hideous.
The shirt in the video? I agree!