Fixed metal fret baroque guitar?

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
MessyTendon

Fixed metal fret baroque guitar?

Post by MessyTendon » Fri May 12, 2017 3:33 am

Is there any reason not to use fixed frets? Do alternative fret placings actually get used in baroque guitar playing often enough to warrant gut frets? I am curious about this.

edwardsguitar

Re: Fixed metal fret baroque guitar?

Post by edwardsguitar » Sat May 13, 2017 8:19 pm

That's a good question, and there are experts out there with more knowledge, but I have a few thoughts. Unless you need to be able to adjust to other temperaments (such as 'meantone') when playing with other Early Music musicians, I don't think having metal frets set in equal temperament is a big issue. However, here's another way of looking at it: is there any reason not to use tied gut frets?

LukeMarsden

Post by LukeMarsden » Fri May 19, 2017 7:21 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 3:33 am
Is there any reason not to use fixed frets? Do alternative fret placings actually get used in baroque guitar playing often enough to warrant gut frets? I am curious about this.
have you seen a baroque guitar with frets online somewhere?

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Fri May 19, 2017 4:20 pm

So, would you like to have an instrument which is otherwise historically accurate baroque guitar, but has modern metal frets? I don't understand why. Non-equal temperament is one issue (especially when playing with other musicians), but fixed metal frets would also affect the tone of the instrument. Perhaps metal frets would wear out gut strings faster than gut frets? However, fixed metal frets did exist on plucked string instruments during baroque era. Chitarra battente is a baroque era guitar that does have metal strings and fixed metal frets.

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”