Binding on baroque/renaissance guitars and vihuelas

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
tateharmann

Binding on baroque/renaissance guitars and vihuelas

Post by tateharmann » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Hello!

Browsing examples of these instruments and various offerings of luthiers around the globe I've noticed many examples that do not have binding on the joint of the soundboard and the sides and/or the back and sides. Is this per historical evidence or just to save time or due to something else?

Of course, I've also seen many (probably the majority) of examples that do have binding - it's just that there were enough distinct examples without that it made me curious as to why.

Thank you!
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

Michael.N.

Re: Binding on baroque/renaissance guitars and vihuelas

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:09 pm

No, they don't have binding at all. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a historical example of one either. Sometimes you see a bias tape that goes over the edge of the soundboard but that's normally on certain lutes, baroque lutes.
The really common method is either nothing or a type of purfling/binding on what they term a half edge - which is just a small ledge cut into half the thickness of the soundboard. The joint between the soundboard and the sides is still visible. That's for good reason. Baroque guitars and Vihuelas have roses filling the soundhole. That prevents repairs being carried out through the soundhole. You really have to remove the soundboard (or back) to make a repair. A full binding would make this task a lot more difficult.
Historicalguitars.

tateharmann

Re: Binding on baroque/renaissance guitars and vihuelas

Post by tateharmann » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Ah awesome that makes perfect sense. Thank you for the enlightenment, sir!
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”