Putting A Strap Button On My Lute

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
Tubbers

Putting A Strap Button On My Lute

Postby Tubbers » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:28 am

I just got an EMS lute and was wondering if I can put one on myself?
Yes? No? Suggestions on where to drill, etc.
Thanks guys.
Help!

JQ.

Re: Putting A Strap Button On My Lute

Postby JQ. » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:51 am

I'm sure it's a simple enough operation you could do it yourself, but if you aren't confident enough to do it yourself, just take it to a local guitar store and I'm sure they'll help you out for a minimum charge. :)

GuitarVlog

Postby GuitarVlog » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:13 am

If you have an Ergoplay, see if it will fit your lute. They advertise those guitar supports as suitable for lutes.

cadiz

Postby cadiz » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:44 pm

I have also an EMS lute. The strap button should be placed here (picture). But not being at all handyman, I preferred to entrust the operation to a luthier. For him, it was very easy. For me, too dangerous... for me and the lute...! :mrgreen:
Last edited by George Crocket on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: JPG file corrupted - see below

Tubbers

Postby Tubbers » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks guys. I think I'll try it myself from cadiz's pic. I do have lots of sharp drill bits and a nice button. :)
Help!

Tubbers

Postby Tubbers » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:50 pm

I put the button on yesterday and it looks perfect. I used my Dremel with a very small bit to make a pilot hole and a slightly larger one for the wood screw and the button went on very easy. I'm now making a strap from nylon strapping (cost under $3) :)
Help!

ElectricLute

Postby ElectricLute » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:24 am

What style of button was used.I see on e - b a y two styles.One has a tappered end the other is threaded.
1984 Paul Fischer
1975 Tamura
2000 Oskar Graf 10 string
Alhambra 9P CW
La Patrie Collection
Ibanez Artcore AF95-TK-12-01
Takamine EG43SC
8 course lute Larry Brown

Yorgon

Postby Yorgon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:14 pm

cadiz wrote:I have also an EMS lute. The strap button should be placed here (picture). But not being at all handyman, I preferred to entrust the operation to a luthier. For him, it was very easy. For me, too dangerous... for me and the lute...! :mrgreen:

tn_bouton luth 010.JPG

Hello cadiz
Thanx for the info!
Could you please post the pix again because I can't see it (doesn't appear for some reason)

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:40 am

Yorgon, I suspect the jpg attachment was a victim of an incident of mass file corruption which occurred some time ago during a server migration. If cadiz can repost the pic, then please let the Mod Team know so that it can be edited into the original post.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

cadiz

Postby cadiz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:55 am

Wow, this post goes back from more 7 years!
Good new, I found quite easily this pic in my files (a bit astonished by this!), and since I own always this lute, I attach two new images (day light).
You note there is some more glue now here at this location, due I suspect to a strap change (it's too long away to recall exactly :chaud: ) :lol:

tn_bouton luth 010.JPG

lute1.jpg

lute2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:02 pm

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=110426

Scroll down to the picture of the lute bowl. You should be able to see the end pin (strap button) at the very bottom of the lute bowl. It lies 1 inch or so below the level of the soundboard.
There are two types of strap buttons. The type with a metal screw are normally used for electric and acoustic steel string guitars.
The other type is entirely made of wood and has a tapered shaft. This is the type used for nylon classical guitars and the type for lutes is the same but smaller. Ideally you need a reamer to fit this type of strap button, which is hardly a tool that many people have lying around.
It is possible to improvise if you have a bit of experience with this sort of thing.
As for drilling the hole. Be very careful, you need a very sharp, very good quality lip and spur drill bit. I use an eggbeater drill (the type you turn by hand). That type of drill allows a lot of control, so you don't burst through the inside of the lute. You have to go very slowly and apply very little pressure. The idea of using a Dremel (that someone posted earlier) might not be the worst idea. It's almost certainly a better idea than using a poor quality drill bit that has been put into a 18V cordless drill.

Edit. The pictures posted by Cadiz show the position much clearer.
I recognise those lutes. The Early Music shop are now offering a different series of lutes, what they term the 'heritage'. I've yet to see one in person so I can't comment on how good, bad or indifferent they are. They seem to have a laser cut rosette which is hardly surprising on a cheap lute. I doubt such a rosette will affect the sound much. I'll probably get to see one within the next few weeks. They also do a kit version for those who feel adventurous and who like gluing things together. In which case mounting a strap button might be the least of your problems. You'll save around £300, although I suppose it could cost you £900 worth of grief.
Historicalguitars.

Yorgon

Postby Yorgon » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Thank you guys for all the infos...
I 've seen some lutes been straped on the neck block wich seems to be more natural
I just don't know the safe way to install a strap button in that place
Any ideas?

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:31 pm

That's sometimes done on much larger baroque lutes. On the renaissance lute it's normally installed at the bottom of the bowl, the other end of the strap being simply tied at the pegbox end.
Historicalguitars.

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”