Lute Kit - How difficult?

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
rojarosguitar

Re: Lute Kit - How difficult?

Postby rojarosguitar » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:56 pm

It seems my lute is sold ...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Postby MartinCogg » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:20 pm

Well I just made a big long reply but in the tidying up the whole thing was suddenly declared 'too few words...' window had
gone blank, and couldn't be got back :cry:

summary- I've built some EMS kits... I'd recommend the experience if you are generally co-ordinated and of a fix-it-yourself
nature. The comparison with Pakistan-made lutes is a nonsense - soundboard thickness - barring, set-up - matters
usually mentioned re Pakistan lutes - all these are within the kit constructors control...

Anyway I'll have to add more another day.

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Postby MartinCogg » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:38 pm

And as follow-up to that, I think some pics are in order -

photos taken this morning. Lute built in 2000, first EMS kit I tried, I had to steam bend and join the ribs (sycamore, kettle on
hob in kitchen) - found ribbing process very difficult but got there in the end. Designed my own simpler rose to cut, colour
added to back of peg box. A few years later, tapered the neck to a narrower nut (for closer string spacing) cut from a deprived
doggie's marrow-bone treat.

Lute2000..jpg

lute2000back.jpg

luterose.JPG

The later (current) EMS lute kits come with ready-made shell of couse - rather easier prospect, more on that later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”