Renaissance Lute

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
Lance Litchfield

Re: Renaissance Lute

Post by Lance Litchfield » Fri May 24, 2013 3:32 am

Michael.N. wrote:I've come across that type of mould but just can't remember where I've seen it. Zachary Taylor wrote a Lute construction book sometime in the '80's so it may have been in his book. Anyway the half circle Lute bowl is fine. Some of the originals (Venere?) are virtually that. I think Lundberg states that they are flattened by 5%. That small amount could be due to father time and distortion.

and the so so Rose:

At least I didn't resort to sanding sticks. Perhaps I should have.
I also have Van Edwards Baroque Lute plans that I bought 6 or 7 years ago. I think it's a 13 course. One day I might actually use them.
You call that rudimentary? I was thinking of stating a lute and I hope I can work up to your rudimentary level :)

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri May 24, 2013 8:34 am

It's not a rudimentary design, far from it. I have seen hundreds of these Lute roses and whilst mine might be a fair attempt it doesn't come up to the standard of the good makers. Shouldn't expect it to in all fairness. These things take a bit of practice to obtain a high level of execution. Some turn to sanding the elements and whilst that can look impressive (at first sight) they do tend to lack the crispness of those that have been cut and finished straight from the knife. The sanded types have a look of being overworked although I'm sure some people would consider them more perfectly made.
The rest of the Lute? It's all joinery. Some have a lot of trouble fitting the bowl staves (I did initially) but there are methods that make the fitting somewhat easier. By the time I had reached the last couple of staves it was beginning to feel fairly straightforward but of course I had reached the end. If I were start another now I would probably struggle with the first few. It has been far too long since I made one.
Historicalguitars.

Jstanley01

Post by Jstanley01 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Scot Tremblay wrote:...All this lute talk is making me want to finish off the bowl on the wall...better get back to making my guitars or I'll be going down that slipery slope. :? ...
Scot: "Hi my name is Scot, and I'm a lute maker."

Fellow 12-steppers in recovery from lute making: "Hi Scot!"

sorry... :mrgreen:
Attitude is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than what people do or say. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. -W.C. Fields

Moderndandy

Post by Moderndandy » Sat May 25, 2013 12:22 am

Hmm, are we even supposed to talk about Lutes on a Classical Guitar Forum.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Sat May 25, 2013 12:55 am

I think if we can talk about lute music there shouldn't be a problem discussion lutes...

It's hard for CGists who want to try lute because they really don't have anywhere to go for good information. There's one good lute site

http://lutegroup.ning.com/

Although there is an awesome collection of lute aficionados with an infinite amount of knowledge concerning the instrument and its music on that site, it's not always easy to find folks who can relate to the issues faced by guitarists trying lutes for the first time. So, for that reason I hope our moderators don't mind the odd discussion of the lute taking place. Here, we have a few who play both instruments and, I think, can be of help to those just starting. It would be a shame to mug that resource IMO...I'm sure they don't mind :D
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Moderndandy

Post by Moderndandy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:48 pm

I received the Lute Today and it has safely arrived from Bulgaria!! Tonight I will take it to my teacher,

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Excellent! And your thoughts...?
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Moderndandy

Post by Moderndandy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:07 am

We went over tuning it, the function of the gut frets. My teacher thought It was a great lute. I was shown the right hand technique and I am to go over some of the dowland stuff I play on guitar in lute tuning. It's a bit difficult especially getting lost with my right hand and keeping my pinky anchored on the sound board. But I'm very happy with the instrument.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:55 am

I'm very glad it worked out well for you. I was wondering how I was going to live it down if the transaction turned out to be a negative experience. I don't know Yavor except through the other site and the few emails we've exchanged but he seems like an upstanding fellow so, I fully expected it would be a nice lute. :chaud:

Keep us updated occassionally on your adventures with the instrument and do post some recordings if you get a chance. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to hear.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

Lance Litchfield

Post by Lance Litchfield » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 am

pics too!

Moderndandy

Post by Moderndandy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Yes I will post some pictures.
I took off the 7th and 8th courses and playing through Hasellwood's Galliard. Right Hand Is going to need some work to get the proper technique.

I'm enchanted by this thing!!!

Moderndandy

Post by Moderndandy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:33 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370698120.948053.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370698152.883048.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370698174.482333.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Valéry Sauvage

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:27 am

Moderndandy wrote:Yes I will post some pictures.
I took off the 7th and 8th courses !
Why ?

Your fret knots are on the wrong side of the neck. It may hurt your left hand when playing.
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:28 am

Yes, I don't see the point of removing those courses. Anyway, it seems you have your money's worth in the strings and Pegs alone!
Historicalguitars.

Moderndandy

Post by Moderndandy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:30 am

Just temporarily as I get used to finding my way. I'll put them back on when my new set of strings arrives.

The fret knots are how it was when I received it. They alternate one at the bottom back side and one at the top. Should they all be on the top?

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”