Baroque And Early Romantic Guitar Neck To Body Joints.

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Baroque And Early Romantic Guitar Neck To Body Joints.

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:02 am

I am having difficulty understanding the neck joints on the veneered necks of early guitars. I have noticed there are several builders here that joins the components of these necks in a proper fashion. How do you do it?

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Baroque And Early Romantic Guitar Neck To Body Joints.

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:44 am

Hi Gilbert, and welcome!

I'm sure some of our expert luthiers will be along soon to answer your questions. :)

In the meantime, may I invite you to tell us a bit more about yourself in the "Introduce yourself" section here? In an effort to help thwart spammers, Mr. Delcamp now requires an introduction from newly registered members:
The accounts of new users who have not introduced themselves within a few hours of registering are deleted, and they will need to register again.
You will get a proper welcome and some tips on how to get the most out of the Forum.

Have fun!

Alan

Michael.N.

Re: Baroque And Early Romantic Guitar Neck To Body Joints.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:45 am

There are a few joints types. Spanish slipper foot, with wedges. Exactly like the method that Romanillos uses. In fact that's where he got the idea from, an original baroque Guitar.
The Italian instruments are butt joined or joined into a shallow mortice, sometimes nailed. It's really no different from the modern Violin (not Baroque) mortise joint. The French romantic Guitars follow this method but without nails or at least I can't recall seeing one done with nails. Heel and Neck are separate. Veneering the heel is where the difficulty lies, essentially it's a section of a cone.
Historicalguitars.

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”