Lute questions

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
Jon Griffiths

Lute questions

Post by Jon Griffiths » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:57 pm

Thinking of getting a lute so here isn't question I wan a renaissance lute so 7 or 8 cource and where can you get music for these maybe a beginner book too learn lute tab and then a place where you can get the tab online either paid or free. thank you advance .

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Re: Lute questions

Post by Scot Tremblay » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:04 am

This question comes up on delcamp every so often so try searching and you will find lots. But until you get to it, here are a few sites (only a beginning ... :shock: ) to get you started. The last link in the list below is "essential" reading for those pondering a transition over to the dark side :twisted:

A good place to find luters/lutenists/lutists from all walks of life and of all levels:
http://lutegroup.ning.com

A great lute site with tonnes of information including the best "For Sale" page:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute/lute.html

One of the largest collections of free lute tablature on the internet: Lute folks are much more likely to share their music/tablatures online for free than guitarists so with a little searching you can find pretty much the entire extant lute repertoire posted somewhere...or about three life times worth at least:
http://www.gerbode.net

A small page with links to more info:
http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~mongoose/lute.html

An article which will help to ease the transition from guitar to lute:
http://stdionysius.lochac.sca.org/colle ... tolute.pdf
Last edited by Scot Tremblay on Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks for the info Scott. I was given a lute kit for Xmas so sometime in the future it'll be a great help.

Jon, the kit I have is for a renaissance 7 course. I expect it'll take along time to make. I don't have any woodworking skills but luckily hubby has made alot of wooden toys. This will definitely be a joint project.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:48 pm

Another good source for lute music (not free, though, but reasonable) is the Lute Society (UK). They sell books of lute scores by difficulty level, and their beginner/early intermediate books provide a nice starting point, particularly when one is brand new to the instrument.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:10 pm

muirtan wrote:This will definitely be a joint project.
I highly recommend against smoking 'em before operating power tools, though. But otherwise you should be fine...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:37 pm

robin loops wrote:
muirtan wrote:This will definitely be a joint project.
I highly recommend against smoking 'em before operating power tools, though. But otherwise you should be fine...
Thanks for the advice but I doubt there will be any power tools involved and I think the pot plants are long gone.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:36 pm

muirtan wrote: ... I was given a lute kit for Xmas so sometime in the future it'll be a great help ...
As a matter of interest where did the kit come from? Is it documented or are you "on your own"?

Thanks.

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi simonm it comes fromThe Early music Shop and there are detailed instructions so hopefully it'll be OK. My husband said the people at the shop were very helpful when he phoned them and he was very impressed with the packaging, they wrapped it in plain paper so that when it was delivered I wouldn't see where it came from.

I know a couple of local amateur luthiers and David van Edwards is in the nearby city so if the worst came to the worst I could probably pay for a few lessons. My husband used to make a lot of childrens toys and dolls houses so he has basic woodworking skills.

Jon Griffiths

Post by Jon Griffiths » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:26 pm

Please post some step by step pics of your project.. Thanks for all the replys guys.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:40 pm

The hardest parts of making a lute are the bowl and peg box (the rose is not hard, just detailed, delicate and tedious). The bowl and peg box are already made (the EMS kits used to be pretty much all carved expect for minor details) so basic woodworking skills should be fine. Some of the finer details of the construction and set-up might take a little research.

You might want to practice carving the rose on some scrap material. Your friendly local amateur luthiers should be able to set you up with some soundboard scraps in exchange for a plate of homemade cookies, a pint or something...

And the only other "interesting" part is getting the dip in the soundboard between the bridge and the fingerboard. It's kind of important to get this right for a nice low action. This is usually carved into the edges of the bowl so I don't know if the kit has that, it's explained in the literature supplied or it is left for the builder.

I think a lesson or two with David would be very helpful in making a superior instrument for yourself...if only for the small but important details.

Have fun with that and don't be afraid to ask questions (no matter how silly they might seem) of the luthiers on our site here or over on the lute group.ning I noted above. There are lots of friendly excellent amateur and pro lute builders over there, all willing to help.
Last edited by Scot Tremblay on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:21 pm

I found the rose was pretty difficult, at least in so far as getting a crisp, clean look to it. There are two basic methods, the scalpel/knife and the micro chisels that David Van Edwards uses. I ended up using a combination of both. The tools really do need to be super sharp. I actually have David's CD Baroque Lute course and it's very thorough on construction details. The plan is pretty detailed too.
Historicalguitars.

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks Scot and Michael, I've now checked all the 'bits' are there! The soundboard comes with a pre cut rose. From the instructions it looks as if planing the soundboard is left to the builder so definitely more research will be needed there. I'm sure tools will need to be sharpened, borrowed or bought during this process.

I plan to keep a pictorial diary of the build so far I have photos of the kit which I will try to resize so I can post them. Building will start when both hubby and I have read through the instructions a few more times at least.

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:14 pm

The lute kit when I checked all the parts were there. At least I managed to identify them;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:30 pm

That looks good. In the mid 1990s I helped a fellow put one of the EMS lute kits together. There was a lot more wood working to do than in this kit. Someone with no instrument making experience would have had a few problems. This one will be easy. Go slow, follow the directions and I don't think you will have anything but a fun time followed by a nice instrument.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:32 pm

Thanks Scot, we need to buy a small block plane do you have any recommendations ? Remember I am in the UK. I have also been reading that hide glue is better than titebond which is recommended by EMS what do you think?

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”