Barber renaissance lute - value & - cracks (images)

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
Tuomas Kourula

Barber renaissance lute - value & - cracks (images)

Postby Tuomas Kourula » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:27 pm

I would be very thankful if you could shed some light on a matter about a lute. I tried to contact the maker directly, but for some reason I didn't get an answer.

I have a colleague who is considering selling a 7 course renaissance lute, made by Stephen Barber in 1991. It is in otherwise excellent condition, but unfortunately it has a few cracks in the soundboard, including a split center seam. I include some images.

My questions are, what do you think is the current value of the instrument, and how much would it cost if I had it repaired? The cracks are without question serious, and affect the value of the instrument, and maybe sound and playability as well.

of the guitar, by the guitar, for the guitar

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Re: Barber renaissance lute - value & - cracks (images)

Postby Scot Tremblay » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:15 pm

Although there are some lute folks here, you would probably get a better idea of the lutes present value and find someone near you to repair it, should you chose to go that route, where most of the lute types hang out. You have to join but it's free and well worth the effort if you are interested in lutes and lute music.

http://lutegroup.ning.com/?xg_source=badge

I'm also surprised the makers haven't contacted you back, they are usually very good about returning emails and so on. I assume you tried to contact them here:

http://www.lutesandguitars.co.uk
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Tuomas Kourula

Postby Tuomas Kourula » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:32 am

Scot Tremblay wrote:Although there are some lute folks here, you would probably get a better idea of the lutes present value and find someone near you to repair it, should you chose to go that route, where most of the lute types hang out. You have to join but it's free and well worth the effort if you are interested in lutes and lute music.

http://lutegroup.ning.com/?xg_source=badge

Thank you for the suggestion. I registered on that forum, but it will apparently take some time before I can post a message there. The lute scene is not very big in this part of Finland, so I'll have to rely on forums to find information.

Scot Tremblay wrote:I'm also surprised the makers haven't contacted you back, they are usually very good about returning emails and so on. I assume you tried to contact them here:

http://www.lutesandguitars.co.uk

Yes, I used the email address found on that page. But who knows, maybe they are on vacation? :)

pogmoor

Postby pogmoor » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:50 am

I think the following notice on the website may go some way to explaining the lack of response:
A fire in the workshop on Sunday 15th June 2014 severely disrupted our schedules, and we have perforce had to put off working on any of the current 'on spec' instruments until later this year, because we have lost an enormous amount of working time making-good, renovating and clearing-up the mess left by the ash, soot and fire extinguisher chemicals, which coated pretty well every surface, causing corrosion to metals and other extensive surface damage; it was well into October before we were anything like up and running again.

We apologise for the website not having been properly updated regularly during 2014, due to factors beyond our control, the devastating workshop fire, and sheer pressure of work.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Tuomas Kourula

Postby Tuomas Kourula » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:23 pm

pogmoor wrote:I think the following notice on the website may go some way to explaining the lack of response:
A fire in the workshop on Sunday 15th June 2014 severely disrupted our schedules[...]

Thanks for pointing that out! So I guess I shouldn't go on expecting a response. I've now posted my message on the suggested forum (thanks again). I also found someone selling a very similar lute by the same maker in OK condition for 1500 euros, so that might give me some indication as to the price.

Tuomas Kourula

Postby Tuomas Kourula » Tue May 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Just an update: the makers did eventually respond to my message. My email had been put in the spam folder for some reason, so It was lucky they noticed it at all.

They think it would cost about 200 pounds to repair, so not too much. No new soundboard needed. I think I might go for that repair, even with the added cost of shipping it's not unreasonable.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Postby Scot Tremblay » Tue May 19, 2015 5:59 pm

Good for you Tuomas.

I have problems with emails going into my spam folder sometimes so it is a good thing to check there once in a while.

Those cracks are actually quite easy to fix so I think it's a good idea to get them done. You will have a fine lute, from one of the best makers out there, when it's all fixed up.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”