Does recorded Classical Guitar music miss the true beauty of the sound of the instrument?

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
Dylan

Re: Does recorded Classical Guitar music miss the true beauty of the sound of the instrument?

Post by Dylan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:00 pm

I'm just of the persuasion that recordings are NEVER as good as the true sound of the instrument. Hearing it in person allows you to take in all the nuances of the sound reverberating in the room around you. A prime example in my life is the harpsichord. I have never heard a recording of a harpsichord I have liked, but hearing it in person is a whole other story - it is truly remarkable to hear and recording cannot capture it.

robinfw

Re: Does recorded Classical Guitar music miss the true beauty of the sound of the instrument?

Post by robinfw » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:37 am

I agree.
Here is an example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KHP3t8yRUY

Ida Presti Rumores de la Caleta
Compare this with any of the other Rumores on YT.
And also Serenata Española.
Progress is going in reverse.

robinfw

Post by robinfw » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:21 am

Apologies for

But maybe these are better examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbyWf692Kig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6i2KXR ... 225.109977

Somehow yes I do feel something is lacking in
our present day recordings.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:29 pm

Recording at high bitrates makes sense for the sake of the processing but the jury seems to be out on whether the 16-24 format is good enough for the listener. The debate goes on. It is difficult to show that the listener would be able to hear a difference at a higher bitrate but I'm suspicious of CD's regardless. In particular its the encoded non-musical signals above 20kHz that are worrying. I was told by a an audio pro that tests reveal that although we don't consciously hear these signals they annoy us subliminally. This may be nonsense but it is slightly plausible, and might explain why some listeners dislike CDs.

The biggest difference between old and new recording will probably be the the mics. Then it may be the chain of processing, reverbs, compressors etc, and using vsts rather than hardware. There are so many variables it's hard to know what makes a difference. Oddly, I suspect that the lack of hiss on digital systems may be part of the problem, since it can create a rather clinical and unnatural sound.

These discussions go round and round and it seems impossible to pin down the issues.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Speaking non-technically: recording can capture the guitar's beautiful sound, but not necessarily authentically. To put it another way, I can appreciate wonderful playing from recordings, but I'd probably never buy a guitar just from hearing a recording. I'd have to hear it live.

Guitarist Ed Gerhard (not a classical guitarist) made a record playing blues on "authentic" instruments; that is, the same kind of (and sometimes same instrument) guitars that original acoustic blues artists played for their own recordings (20s, 30s, 40s and beyond). Old, cheap, needing a set-up, not-necessarily-great steel string guitars. By and large they sound terrific on the recording! Much of this is Gerhard's own skill, and some has to be the recording environment.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”