Tansman Cavatina Suite - atonal?

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
glassynails

Tansman Cavatina Suite - atonal?

Post by glassynails » Tue May 02, 2017 11:39 am

Is the Prelude, Scherzino, etc atonal music? It seem to sound similar to me. I do think it's very interesting music and I was playing through the Prelude, Danza Pomposa and the famous Barcarole over the last week. I could see though how to a general audience the suite could be hard to listen to and maybe a bit boring save for the Dansa Pomposa and maybe the Barcarole.

I think my favorite piece is the Dansa Pomposa out of them all, but it's a very 'tasty' and interesting suite. I think it really suits a SPRUCE guitar and a big acoustic area like Segovia used. I love that sound and the darkness of the suite in a large reverb room! I like all the pieces, but like I said, I think to a general audience - and especially today's general audience - this music could be considered boring mostly. Of course I don't find it such, but I'm a guitarist!
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

mainterm

Re: Tansman Cavatina Suite - atonal?

Post by mainterm » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:10 pm

glassynails wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 11:39 am
Is the Prelude, Scherzino, etc atonal music?
Tansman's Cavatina is not an example of atonal music.

Saying precisely what this piece *is* is another matter. Folks get into pretty deep, sometimes heated discussion about that sort of thing.

The "atonal" designation however would dictate that a composition have zero, nada, nichts in the way of a tonal center. Cavatina has a clear tonal center of E.

Charles Mokotoff

Re: Tansman Cavatina Suite - atonal?

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:36 pm

I am playing this whole suite plus the Danza Pomposa this season, it seems to go over very well. As previously mentioned there is nothing atonal about this music. This is the first time I have been playing all the pieces, plus DP. I think it works wonderfully as a suite, and wish I had done the whole thing years ago instead of cherry picking it. The mood swings (e.g. Prelude busy-ness to Sarabande stillness) is what really intrigues me, and I think my audiences have appreciated my commitment to doing the whole thing. Or it may just be my fantasizing, who knows?

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”