vals 3 analysis - Isbin

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
oc chuck

vals 3 analysis - Isbin

Postby oc chuck » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:22 am

From Sharon Isbin...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGsefPawinA

I've been playing this piece for about two years but
never really got it down.

Excellent explanation on bringing out the lines
and melody.

Matilda

Re: vals 3 analysis-Isbin

Postby Matilda » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:04 am

I absolutely adore this waltz and hope I'll be able to play it some day. Incidentally, whose interpretation of it appeals more to you? I've heard a nice one by Anna Vidovic.

JohnB

Re: vals 3 analysis - Isbin

Postby JohnB » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:57 am

Confession: I'm not particularly enamoured of either Sharon Isbin's or Anna Vidovic's performances on YTube.

There is a recording on YouTube of Lauro's Venezuelan Waltz No 3 (together with lots of other Lauro pieces) by Jesús Castro Balbi, someone who I have never heard of before. But... But... But, he is very, very good indeed in this music and brings real character to it - not just flurries of notes.

This is the link. Venezuelan Waltz No 3 is at 24:58 (click on "Show More" and you will be able to go direct to the track. Do please have a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXBV6FG3rkM

It turns out that Jesús Castro Balbi is professor of guitar at the Conservatoire de Lyon. Confusingly he has a cellist son called Jesús Castro-Balbi.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Matilda

Re: vals 3 analysis - Isbin

Postby Matilda » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Oh, yes. Jesus Castro Balbi's playing is great. There is just one detail which puzzled me. Should those descending chords really be played so sharply and abruptly? Somehow to me they sounded a bit alien in the context of his interpretation as a whole.

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”