Invocacion y danza: which version is preferred?

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
electrictears

Invocacion y danza: which version is preferred?

Postby electrictears » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi!
I'm currently learning Rodrigo's Invocacion Y Danza en see that the version of Diaz en Romero are very different in some places.

What are your experiences with playing this piece?
Wich version do you prefer and why?

Ray

Re: Invocacion y danza: which version is preferred?

Postby Ray » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:47 pm

electrictears wrote:Hi!
I'm currently learning Rodrigo's Invocacion Y Danza en see that the version of Diaz en Romero are very different in some places.

What are your experiences with playing this piece?
Wich version do you prefer and why?

I think the Diaz version is overall easier to play - he simplified things that were in the original manuscript to make it more playable. However I've heard people like John Williams and others play the more difficult version very convincingly so it's a matter of preference.

The Romero version has a couple more interesting passages especially in the mysterious Invocation intro pages. My advice is find a performer whose interpretation you like the most and play the version he/she does. There is no preferred version unless you're playing it for a competition and they ask for a specific edition to be played.

ben etow

Postby ben etow » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:39 am

Both Romero and Díaz versions are not true to the manuscript, so you have to make your own version based upon all three IMO.

Adrian Allan

Postby Adrian Allan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:43 am

Does anybody know if the Diaz version is still available - I lost mine and cannot find it in online music shops.

Personally I find some sections in the Romero version almost impossible to play, even though they may be closer to Rodrigo's manuscript, for all the added effort, the end result is very similar but less guitaristic.

Also, somebody has done an MA/ Phd comparing all the versions and coming up with a best solution - you can find that online.

vesa

Postby vesa » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:16 pm

Dale Kavanagh played Invocation y Danza to Barrueco in a masterclass in 80´s and he told her that he had asked Rodrigo about what he should do with those mysterious notes in the beginning and the answer was:¨I can't quite remember what I wrote.¨ I was there.
Vesa Kuokkanen

David Rubio ws. E. B. Jones 1979
Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

ben etow

Postby ben etow » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:25 pm

vesa wrote:Dale Kavanagh played Invocation y Danza to Barrueco in a masterclass in 80´s and he told her that he had asked Rodrigo about what he should do with those mysterious notes in the beginning and the answer was:¨I can't quite remember what I wrote.¨ I was there.

I read somewhere he wrote I y D in the 30's... Then it stayed on a shelf. Rodrigo then presented it to the Radio France Competition in 1961... No Wonder he didn't remember every note.

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”