What are some good books on analysis?

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
Nimo956

What are some good books on analysis?

Post by Nimo956 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:07 am

I've been reading through Harmony vol 1-4 by Barry Nettles, as well as Harmony and Voice Leading by Edward Aldwell, which is more of an extensive textbook. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

rojarosguitar

Re: What are some good books on analysis?

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:27 am

I thought you mean 'Analysis' as in 'Calculus' - :lol: .
In that case I would have recomanded Shlomo Sternbergs book and every book by Serge Lang :D
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

igycrctl

Post by igycrctl » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:24 pm

Nimo956 wrote:I've been reading through Harmony vol 1-4 by Barry Nettles, as well as Harmony and Voice Leading by Edward Aldwell, which is more of an extensive textbook. Does anyone have any other recommendations?
When I search for this, I find the author's name is spelled "Barrie".

robert e

Post by robert e » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:11 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:I thought you mean 'Analysis' as in 'Calculus' - :lol: .
In that case I would have recomanded Shlomo Sternbergs book and every book by Serge Lang :D
Ha! I thought something very different, and would have recommended the classics: Freud and Jung. :wink:

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:41 pm

Nimo956 wrote:I've been reading through Harmony vol 1-4 by Barry Nettles, as well as Harmony and Voice Leading by Edward Aldwell, which is more of an extensive textbook. Does anyone have any other recommendations?
I'm pretty interested in analysis but have not gone through music school or anything. I guess analysis is the practical side of theory, but I'm not aware of any books that are specifically focused on that side. There are plenty of straight theory books. The standard one is Kostka & Payne, which is pretty pricey if you get the current edition and also pretty dry (from what I saw browsing through it - I don't own it). You would have to be very motivated to work your way though that, I think. A more accessible option would be Walter Piston's book on harmony, although its pretty old at this point.

From time to time there are attempts at a new approach to music theory. You might want to look at Schenker or Lerdahl and Jackendoff - I don't think either of their theories work, but I think Lehrdahl and Jackendoff were at least going in the right direction, and their ideas about rhythm (well they were building on what had gone before - it wasn't completely original) have been very helpful to me.

It looks from previous posts as though, if you post an analysis of a work on here, you are likely to get some helpful comments.

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:57 am

Not sure what you mean by analysis. However:

- The Study of Fugue, by Alfred Mann (1987) might be one of books you are looking for. A lot of history and technical information.
- Studies In Counterpoint Based on the Twelve-Tone Technique, by Ernst Krenek (1940)
- Counterpoint: Based on Eighteenth-Century Practice, by Kent Kennan (4th ed. - 1999) is a good example of music analysis.

Also:
1) Revisiting Music Theory. A Guide to the Practice, by Alfred Blatter (2007) provides more practical approach to theory.
2) Same applies to Alan Belkin's Practical Guide to Musical Composition.
3) Models for Beginners in Composition, by Arnold Schoenberger (the last, 3rd ed. was published in 1947, but it looks like it was reprinted in 2016 as part of Schoenberg in Words series) is built around examples. I own Russian translation of 1943 edition.
4) The Historical Performance of Music: An Introduction, by Colin Lawson and Robin Stowell (2004) can be helpful in understanding historical context of a piece. There are 2 more volumes which I don't own but might be helpful for transcribers:
- The Early Violin and Viola, and
- Early Keyboard Instruments.

Analysis of music more relevant for classical guitarist:
- Counterpoint for Guitar with Improvisation in the Renaissance Style and Study in Motivic Metamorphosis, by Dusan Bogdanovic (1996)
- Christopher Davis. Ornamentation and the Guitar. An Overview of Style and Technique (downloadable from author's website)
- A Guide to Playing the Baroque Guitar, by James Tyler (2011)
- The Guitarist's Guide to Bach, by Graham Wade (1985)
- The Essential Studies, by David Tanenbaum. Vol. 1-3 (Sor 20 Studies, Carcassi Op.60, Brower Estudios Sencillos)
- Abel Carlevaro Guitar Masterclass. Vol.1-4 (Sor 10 Studies, Villa-Lobos 5 preludes & 12 studies, Bach Cnaconne BWV 1004)
- Tilman Hoppstock has analytical works on playing Bach listed on his web site, but I don't own any.
- Luciano Tavares. Los preludios para guitarra de Manuel Ponce. (UNIVERSIDAD AUTÓNOMA DE MADRID, 2012)
- Thomas Christensen. The Spanish Baroque Guitar and Seventeenth-Century Triadic Theory (Journal of Music Theory, 1992)
- website of Stanley Yates offers few of his articles on playing Sor, Bach, Albeniz, Villa-Lobos, etc.

P.S. Elements of Sonata Theory by James Hepokoski & Warren Darcy was recommended here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=107954
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

veetguitar

Post by veetguitar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:46 pm

A litttle more specialized are the books about Bach by Tilman Hoppstock. All of them come in a German and a English version.
His way of analyzing is quite unique and whatever you learned from them can be applied to a lot of different music. If Bach is in any way important in your private musical cosmos then it would be really essential to work through them. They require some knowledge of harmony but if you absorb what he has on offer it can make a huge difference on your understanding of music. And most important: They are not dry and boring but enjoyable and profound at the same time.

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”